Mickey Mouse Platy fry!

PintoHawk

My orange Mickey Mouse Platy Mommy had her babies this afternoon. Funny, I read something about turning up the heater for breeding tanks to encourage Mommy to drop, and today I turned it up, she probably had them about 2 hours later.

I only had a few minutes to look before I had to come to work (I was a little late, honestly, I was too darn excited and I don't even care about work right now, lol) but we counted at least 4. Mickey Mouse Mommy was NOT huge, she is very young, this is most likely her first drop, so I didn't expect massive swarms of fry or anything. I am 90% sure I even know who the Daddy is because I only have 1 male Platy and I have had this pair for almost 2 months with no fry before this.

They are SOOO tiny! All you see at first, hidden in the plants at the top of the tank, is little tiny black eyes; you look closer, cross your eyes trying to see through the jumble of leaves, and you can see a pinkish-colored body, a teensy pointy tail. I took the lid off and counted them because they were at the surface. Four, possibly more than that, I have ALOT of hiding places in that 10 gallon. I fed them right away, I will feed again tonight. I plan on feeding about 4-6 times a day, because w/c are no problem for me at all.

These are my first babies who actually have a chance at surviving. I took Mommy out and put her in the 20gallon community tank where there are only 3 other fish, all Mollies. I called home just now to see how she is doing and my fiance told me she is acting totally normal and none of the other fish even seem to notice her, so that's good.

I am sooo excited! I hope at least one will survive to adulthood!

It's always a treat the first time you have fish babies

The first batch is always so exciting!

Congratulations and with any luck you will be saying oh no more babies! (like I am)!

LOL, I keep telling myself I will get over the novelty after a few batches have come and gone but I just can't believe this would EVER get old. I actually called my Grandma and my sister-in-law and told them, they were almost as excited as I am.

This morning I saw at least two, so I know at least that many survived the night. I am hoping more than the 4 I first spotted are in there somewhere, hiding.

Thanks everyone! :)

Congratulations.

The first time I saw a baby fish in my tank I thought we had some kind of an insect outbreak going on. Then when I looked closer at the creature - it was this perfectly formed little baby fish. You just cannot beat the amazement and thrill of the first babies.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on the new babes!

My daughter & I have never really gotten over the excitement of new borns in the tank. In the big tank we try to catch the female when we think she is near & her 10g tank we let nature take its course. If & when we find the wee ones we catch them & put them in a baby tank until they are big enough to find homes for. Enjoy & nice pics of the little ones! Kat :thumbs: