How long do cichlids live?

farleyfish

hi,

Just wondering how long yellow labs and rusties typically live? Peacocks? Given that I have given them good water (maintence) and food and have only had 1 ich issue.

I'm asking because I've had 6 fish die on me this past month including my male ngra(sp?) flametail male. I bought them as 1" juvies about 4 years ago, and the peacock 2 years ago. Did they die of old age or did I have something else going on in my tank? And should I buy another flametail male for the female?

Edited by farleyfish

I would say its not old age as 2 and 4 years isn't that old. Some of my Africans(yellow labs included) are 5-6 years+ and going strong. I remember reading on cichlid-forum that some africans live 10 years +. Someone even had a Syno that was 24 years old!

Also, when a fish dies of old age you can tell. Old fish look old, slow down, and start getting skinny. I recently had an angelfish die of old age. She was about 7-8 years. She started looking dull, less active and started to loose weight as she wasn't feeding as energically. It was a slow decline.

If your fish looked normal one day and died the next, something happened. Mystery deaths seem to happen in african tanks. Were the fish being picked on? Did their bodies look beat up? Did you test the water after they died?

Google african cichlid life span for some links that discuss it

Edited by degrassi

I can relate. I just recently had the majority of my community tank die off. Did you recently add any new livestock. I'm pretty sure I know what happened in mine. My levels where all good, no aggression, it was mostly peacocks and a m/f pair of electric blue, an electric yellow and 5 aceis. I picked up a male O.B. peacock from Big Al's put him in my tank, about a week later he just died. Then within a day 2 more in the tank died, then it went downhill. within a week I lost 18 fish. Pretty sure the one from Big Al's had a parasite or something because my tank was doing great until I got the new guy.

~~Ray~~

I would say its not old age as 2 and 4 years isn't that old. Some of my Africans(yellow labs included) are 5-6 years+ and going strong. I remember reading on cichlid-forum that some africans live 10 years +. Someone even had a Syno that was 24 years old!

Also, when a fish dies of old age you can tell. Old fish look old, slow down, and start getting skinny. I recently had an angelfish die of old age. She was about 7-8 years. She started looking dull, less active and started to loose weight as she wasn't feeding as energically. It was a slow decline.

If your fish looked normal one day and died the next, something happened. Mystery deaths seem to happen in african tanks. Were the fish being picked on? Did their bodies look beat up? Did you test the water after they died?

Google african cichlid life span for some links that discuss it

You know what, they did look a little beaten up. I got some fish from my brother...he did not want a cichlid tank anymore. I think that was back in Feburary. 2 haps ( I don't know what they are), and a tropheus, and 5 clown loaches. I though they were ok...aggression wise. I guess I was wrong.

If I was to get rid of the newer fish, how would I do that? Would I just ask people on this forum?

I can relate. I just recently had the majority of my community tank die off. Did you recently add any new livestock. I'm pretty sure I know what happened in mine. My levels where all good, no aggression, it was mostly peacocks and a m/f pair of electric blue, an electric yellow and 5 aceis. I picked up a male O.B. peacock from Big Al's put him in my tank, about a week later he just died. Then within a day 2 more in the tank died, then it went downhill. within a week I lost 18 fish. Pretty sure the one from Big Al's had a parasite or something because my tank was doing great until I got the new guy.

~~Ray~~

Sorry to hear about your fish troubles! Did you tear down/ clean the tank?

You know what, they did look a little beaten up. I got some fish from my brother...he did not want a cichlid tank anymore. I think that was back in Feburary. 2 haps ( I don't know what they are), and a tropheus, and 5 clown loaches. I though they were ok...aggression wise. I guess I was wrong.

If I was to get rid of the newer fish, how would I do that? Would I just ask people on this forum?

Aggression is quite common in african tanks. Keep an eye out for it.

For getting rid of fish, you can contact fish stores and see if they will take them or advertise them on the forum's buy/sell.