First Tank

Hey everyone, I have started my first tank ever... A 55G Freshie. I have 4 Black Angels and 1 Silver Molly. I am just curious what I should be keeping an eye in the first couple days/weeks of the cycling process, etc.

Thanks.

My suggestion (if your tank is not fully cycled) is to return the fish and do a "fishless cycle." Just google it and you will find tons of info on the topic. It is faster than cycling with fish (in my opinion).

OR your other option would be to get some old filter floss from an established tank. Try your LFS for this and put it directly in your filter. It will at the very least cut the cycling process. What kind of filter are you using? What are you parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, etc)?

Js

OR your other option would be to get some old filter floss from an established tank. Try your LFS for this and put it directly in your filter. It will at the very least cut the cycling process. What kind of filter are you using? What are you parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, etc)?

Js

I am running a Fluval 305 (bottom 2 media have carbon, middle 2 media have 1 carbon/1 bio-max, top 2 media have Biomax)

I ran an Ammonia test yesterday, and it came out between 0.00 and 0.25ppm on the chart. I haven't performed a Nitrite test yet.

Take the carbon out. You will need the ammonia to "feed" the bacteria. The carbon will impede the cycling process and will have spike once you remove the carbon.

Can you take the fish back and do fishless cycling instead?

Js

I'm not sure if Riverfront takes returns...

Can I replace the Carbon with Fluval Ammonia Remover? (i read its recommended for new aquariums??)

The thing about cycling is you want the ammonia spike. The ammonia is broken down by bacteria into NitrIte, then into NitrAte. If you remove the ammonia source, there will be no bacteria for cycling.

Read the link: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Call Riverfront and ask. Maybe they can hold it for you.

Js

That webpage is amazing. I just read the article and because i'm going through my first cycle in a tank i would strongly recommend you take the fish back to the store. It's allot less stress on yourself and the fish. If the fishless cycle isn't an option then at least buy an Ammonia test kit. The other product i have found that was recommended and does more and a better job than ammo lock or any similar product is Called Prime. It's also SUPER concentrated so you get Way more bang for your buck. It's in a red bottle.

I bought Cycle and added about 50ml last night when i noticed ammonia was getting a bit Too high along with 10ml of prime (enough for normally 100gals) I tested again and my levels are down to .8ppm of ammonia(?)(stressfull but safe) and 0.25ppm of nitrITES, Basicly it Helps LOADS.

One trick is to put bacteria supplements directly on your filter sponge or whatever you have as a medium for bacteria. I put it in my Whisper and turned it off for a minute to let the Cycle bacteria settle onto my medium before the filter water flow washed them all out.

I hope my little experience can help you if you can't do the fishless cycle. It's taken weeks for me to figure allot of stuff out. :boxed: :chair: I bought at a pet store and the sales lady was nice and good at just briefly skimming over the scary stuff and telling the customer twhat they really want to hear. Mostly just basic basic info. Check out the entirety of the webpage fatpuffer gave and it should prevent all the worrying i've done lately.

Have a wonderfull weekend

L

P.S. I forgot to mention that Cycle and prime both seem to have the bacteria nessasary for a boost in the nitrogen cycle so the only reason i recommended Cycle as well as Prime was because it stated that you can't overdose hence my 50ml addition last night I'm going with the Philosophy that more can't hurt and sure seems to help(allot)

That webpage is amazing. I just read the article and because i'm going through my first cycle in a tank i would strongly recommend you take the fish back to the store. It's allot less stress on yourself and the fish. If the fishless cycle isn't an option then at least buy an Ammonia test kit. The other product i have found that was recommended and does more and a better job than ammo lock or any similar product is Called Prime. It's also SUPER concentrated so you get Way more bang for your buck. It's in a red bottle.

I bought Cycle and added about 50ml last night when i noticed ammonia was getting a bit Too high along with 10ml of prime (enough for normally 100gals) I tested again and my levels are down to .8ppm of ammonia(?)(stressfull but safe) and 0.25ppm of nitrITES, Basicly it Helps LOADS.

One trick is to put bacteria supplements directly on your filter sponge or whatever you have as a medium for bacteria. I put it in my Whisper and turned it off for a minute to let the Cycle bacteria settle onto my medium before the filter water flow washed them all out.

I hope my little experience can help you if you can't do the fishless cycle. It's taken weeks for me to figure allot of stuff out. :boxed: :chair: I bought at a pet store and the sales lady was nice and good at just briefly skimming over the scary stuff and telling the customer twhat they really want to hear. Mostly just basic basic info. Check out the entirety of the webpage fatpuffer gave and it should prevent all the worrying i've done lately.

Have a wonderfull weekend

L

P.S. I forgot to mention that Cycle and prime both seem to have the bacteria nessasary for a boost in the nitrogen cycle so the only reason i recommended Cycle as well as Prime was because it stated that you can't overdose hence my 50ml addition last night I'm going with the Philosophy that more can't hurt and sure seems to help(allot)

I am going to choose to go ahead with a Fish"ful" cycle... I picked up both Cycle and Prime today along with a Full Test kits (ph, high range PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

Along with this site, I have a few friends that I can turn to for rush info (if needed)... I'll try out this Cycle and Prime, do a few tests, and see what my results are... Will also remove the carbon from the media...

EDIT: Added 10 caps of cycle (5 to the filter, 5 directly to the water) and 1 cap of Prime directly to the water....

EDIT#2: DAMN!! forgot to take out the carbon..

Edited by JDigital

P.S. I forgot to mention that Cycle and prime both seem to have the bacteria nessasary for a boost in the nitrogen cycle

Prime just neutralizes ammonia it dose not add bacteria.

I am going to choose to go ahead with a Fish"ful" cycle... I picked up both Cycle and Prime today along with a Full Test kits (ph, high range PH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

Along with this site, I have a few friends that I can turn to for rush info (if needed)... I'll try out this Cycle and Prime, do a few tests, and see what my results are... Will also remove the carbon from the media...

EDIT: Added 10 caps of cycle (5 to the filter, 5 directly to the water) and 1 cap of Prime directly to the water....

EDIT#2: DAMN!! forgot to take out the carbon..

take it easy on the prime so you other wise you will knock down your cycle