Frantic Koi Now Happy

I'm posting some good news about Kuchi. I started on this forum with a fish emergency post and I'm very happy to inform all those who advised me NOT to buy another fish that I have and Kuchi has really really really perked up.

His new friend's name was given to him by the pet store employee's He came in with the feeder fish for some reason. He's a 5 inch Koi and almost entirely goldfish gold except the hint of black on his back. The reason i bought Sam is because he has a problem with his fin and it's not straight. He was with the two inch Koi who crowded around him in the tank as if to protect him. I had a loonie in my pocket and that was all the money i had. There was a man there looking to buy a Koi for his pond that contains a snapping turtle. "Sam may be big but it's obvious he wouldn't survive living with a turtle like that. I bought him for a bargan basement price of a grand total of fourty two cents.

The rescue from the snapping turtle is one reason i bought him. There are two others. one is that i wanted to give him a certain future away from the possibility of mistreatment or being stuck in the store for eternity. The other reason is that Kuchi's energy levils have been going down since i bought him and his behavior seemed to indicate not only to me but to the lady in the store that he was possibly lonely. It's Wonderful how the two get along now and Kuchi's energy has gone right back up along with "Sam's" who i found originally hovering near the bottom of the tank almost still.

Kuchi now seems to be haveing a blast diveing in the bubbles when he's not following "Sam" around. Sam is all over the place and has allready seen fit to redecorate a bit. My ammonia and nitrite levils are still a bit high but i'm still going through the nitrogen cycle. The levels are below anything that can be remotely dangerous and the ammonia is starting to go down and the nitrite is starting it's spike. To keep the impact of adding another fish so soon into the tank i'm vaccumeing the gravel and useing an net to filter the water as i put it back in the tank. I'll be doing this at the very least once a week maybe more. I have one filter designed for a thirty gallon tank and another for a ten gallon tank. I plan to get a huge filter soon but with the addition of "sam" i'll be buying a bigger tank setup first.(filter and everything) I'm watching my levels like a hawk and i've fallen into a routine of testing at 1AM and 1PM for some odd reason. I haven't figured out exactly what i should be adding for food since the two of them take forever to find out i've added food and one doesn't find out until minutes after the other and neither one find it first all the time.

I love watching the two together and i'll do everything i can for them including doing extra work at a temp labor place for two or three days of hard labor and early mornings to buy a tank and things they'll need in the next couple months. Have a wonderfull weekend everyone and Happy MOTHERS DAY TO EVERY FISH and kid mummy. I wish all the fish, mom's and kid's out there a wonderful day.

L

Great to hear that you took on the advice in adding another Koi!

As I said they are a very needy fish when it comes to being alone and they do much better in a

packed aquarium.

Good Luck!