New Tank Emergency!

JDigital

I don't know what happened, Its a fairly new tank.

I performed my tests this morning after seeing the water and 1 dead Angel. Ammonia 0, Nitrtate 0, Nitrate 0, pH 7.6.

Only thing different was a 10-15% water change last night, using Prime. And addition of 3 Corys which actually look more calm today that yesterday.

I am still missing one angel, I can't seem to find it. The other 2 are swimming right at the top of the water level, along with my Molly.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

EDIT: The feelers on the other 2 angels are pretty much limp!

Edited by JDigital

I'm sorry Im not much help as I am relatively new to fishkeeping but it sounds like a bacterial bloom - probably because of the new tank cycling (?). Just go to google and search "white cloudy water, aquarium" or some such thing and youll find all sorts of info on bacterial blooms.

Sorry I cant be much more help

Good luck

In the other post, I think I recommended that you return the livestock until the tank fully cycles and I stand by that reccomendation. I also think it is bacterial bloom that may be due to incomplete cycle. I say return the fish and complete the cycle and then buy the fish.

Js

In the other post, I think I recommended that you return the livestock until the tank fully cycles and I stand by that reccomendation. I also think it is bacterial bloom that may be due to incomplete cycle. I say return the fish and complete the cycle and then buy the fish.

Js

Agreed! 0 Nitrate indicates a tank that is NOT cycled. Your fish are in grave danger. Other than getting them out of there you could try Seachem Stability after a 90 % water change.

J

Edited by geleen

I would have to agree with fatpuffer and geleen. I am pretty sure your Angels will not make it thru a tank cycling. The molly might make it...cories are iffy too.

Where in calgary are you? I am willing to hold your fish in my hospital tank and give you a bunch of filter goo (good bacteria) if you are able to come and drop them off and pick up the goo.

Tammy

With starting new tanks, I have used a product called 'Cycle' with good results... I usually dose the tank as per the directions and then a bit more.

I would have to agree with fatpuffer and geleen. I am pretty sure your Angels will not make it thru a tank cycling. The molly might make it...cories are iffy too.

Where in calgary are you? I am willing to hold your fish in my hospital tank and give you a bunch of filter goo (good bacteria) if you are able to come and drop them off and pick up the goo.

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

I am in the NW end of town. Tuscany to be exact. That would be awesome if your willing to do that for me. Send me a PM please.

With starting new tanks, I have used a product called 'Cycle' with good results... I usually dose the tank as per the directions and then a bit more.

I have been using Cycle since day one too as per the directions.

After getting home tonight from work I can see that my angels are doing better (swimming around and such). I dropped the water level down to just at the outlet from the filter to try and produce abit more oxygen flow, as it seemed like they were gasping for air this morning..

Are your test kits new? It does seem odd that your fish are in distress and your nitrite and ammonia levels are 0. Gasping for air often comes from a nitrite spike.

Please do take up the offer of babysitting , a GREAT offer I might add. It may take another week or more to finish cycling the fishless way , it is worth the wait.

My experience with cloudy water other than a non cycled tank , is too much food or wastes. I always tell people to stop all feedings, vacuum the substrate and do a 50% water change. If the fish look unhappy add 1tbls of aquarium salt per 5 gal. of water to help ease them. Adding a bubbler is also a good idea. Resume small feedings after 3 days.

Are your test kits new? It does seem odd that your fish are in distress and your nitrite and ammonia levels are 0. Gasping for air often comes from a nitrite spike.

Please do take up the offer of babysitting , a GREAT offer I might add. It may take another week or more to finish cycling the fishless way , it is worth the wait.

My experience with cloudy water other than a non cycled tank , is too much food or wastes. I always tell people to stop all feedings, vacuum the substrate and do a 50% water change. If the fish look unhappy add 1tbls of aquarium salt per 5 gal. of water to help ease them. Adding a bubbler is also a good idea. Resume small feedings after 3 days.

Yea, I think my kits are new... New from the store anyways, only had it for the week or so I have had the tank. A friend of mine thought they maybe expired and that is why Im not getting any results. I tried a second ammonia kits (that I bought before this master kit) and it also gave me a 0 reading...

The remaining fish seem alot better right now... swimming around alot, no heavy breathing, not at the top gasping for air, etc.. i have stopped all feedings for now.. Like I mentioned the water level is down to just at the spout of my outtake nozzle from my canister, which is creating alot of bubbles along the surface.... However the water is still somewhat cloudy... I need to do another water change I guess..

I have PM'd Fish Frenzy to take her up on the babysitting offer... I must agree, that is quite an great offer from a stranger. :blush:

When you do tests on your water remember to shake the living s@#t out of the bottles for amonia, nitrite, and nitrate to mix them up really good, (about 1 min). You may find that you will get a different reading on your tests.