Burnco sand in a new 33g tank...

Calab

*sigh*

I finally got my 33 gallon tank cleaned up, backgrounds mounted and added sand for a substrate. The water is SUPER cloudy! YUCK!

I DID rinse the sand well... The water was much cleaner after rinsing, but still cloudy.

Scanning the forums here I find out that the Burnco sand from Rona really sucks for a substrate and I should get Target sand from Home Depot instead.

At this point should I just empty the tank and start over with some Target sand? Is the silt bad for my HOB filter (Aquaclear 70)?

:(

Put a sponge or floss over your filter intake to prefilter the particulate matter before it goes through the impeller and it should be fine.

I've used both. Considering the cost I would switch over now before you have taken the time cycling the tank etc. You will have an issue with silt the whole time you have it. Any fish you get that likes to rearrange his environment or burrow in the sand, will raise the silt again. I ended up pitching the Burnco sand.

I have the same opinion of Burnco sand. I wish my wife had told me she was picking up sand for our son's sandbox, and I would have made sure she went to Home Depot and picked up Target Play Sand - not nearly as dusty. I have used TPS without rinsing many times - no clouding!

Edit: I've mentioned steps to fill the tank w/o clouding many times on AA - just do a search and you'll see how I do it

Edited by jvision

I have an opened but un-used 25lb bag you can have if you want it. I was gonna use it in my saltwater tank but decided on something coarser.

Thanks, but I've already replaced the crappy Burnco stuff with Target. The difference was unbelievable. Cleaned up much quicker and the tank was clear in no time!!!

My 10 gallon looks like it's cycle is about complete and I've got extra filter material in the filter to move into the 33 gallon now.

:smokey: