alligator gars

jnite

I agree you don't need a licence to have these guys in canada but they do get big. I think you would need at least a 250g for one. A local petstore called fishworld has two that are about 18inches but they are just babies! I think they are spoken for. As far as I know they are going into a 920g indoor pond. If you have a big tank I would get one they are neat fish!

I used to have 2 of them. I never did need to have a license for them as far as I new...

But they do get really big I had mine until they were about 16inch and then I had to gt rid of them as they need to go into a very large tank. I would recommend that if you plan on getting some or already have some you should be sure that you are going to be able to get a big tank to hold them in. As they are very hard to get rid of if you end up needing to get rid of them.

although in the wild they can get up to 10 feet, captivity you're looking at about 5 ish. I've had one for less than two months, it's gone from about 3.5 inches to a little under a foot. In TWO months. These guys get big, fast. Not even a 250 is good for one. Start out with a smaller tank, but still one that gives the fish enough room to turn easily and cruise the tank. Then go bigger in incraments...this will prevent a broken back. Aligator gars do not do well with tankmates in general, so if you're going to get one, get either just that one fish or a couple of ali's. Either way, plan on having a pond.