150 Gallon Update Feb 21, 2005

Garhan

Looks great! What's on your tank for lighting? If we end up trying a planted set-up on our 230 gal, we have 2-400w. MH lights 6500k already. Do you think that is enough? Looking forward to giving this planted thing a try, but am planning to start small, maybe a 77gal first, as you suggested. Can't help but like those planted set-ups, they seem to make the the look complete to me.

Rob :drool:

Thanks for the complements folks, much appreciated.

MA this tank currently only has 4 x 96" VHO white tubes in it. (Not even close to the colour spectrum I really need) The suppliers simple dont have full spectrum tubes available for the 96" tubes.

The fertilzer program is PMDD on a IV drip system with pressurized C02 from a 10 pound bottle and no PH counter. Some of the plants are doing OK, but others are not recieving enough light. I am still waiting for my experimental T-5 system that will be added to this tank. The T-5 package has a 740 watt output with all lights at 6700 K. That will really boost this tank...but patiently waiting now overdue by 1.5-2 months.

As for your 250 gallon, because of the height I believe you wont be able to get enough lighting with stripp lights to the lower plants. Especially any foreground plants unless you use something like Java Moss, that is clipped to shape or lower lying crypts. I would likely recommend (not knowing the canopy, if there even is one) to use Metal Halides suspended over the tank add in at least 1 more unit more than likely 2 more units to what already exsists.. Of course the power consumption will be huge. For the 77 gallon go to Commercial Lighting Product Ltd in Edmonton and inquire about the new 2x48" T5 system if they fit for length. Get Full Spectrun bulbs. This is a sealed unit and two of them should get you a good light source to the tank. Cost back in December 2004 was 110.00 per unit.

Cheers,

Garhan

Edited by Garhan

We have the MH lights already, 2-400w, so that's no big concern, was putting them in anyway. Hopefully 2 would be enough an a 6 foot tank. Was somewhat thinking of just maving plants on one end of it @ some point, and rock/driftwood in the rest, but who knows? I keep changing my mind! I would still like some Discus, but I don't have time for 80%+waterchanges per day :tongue: So probably should avoid that issue all together for now

Rob

Majestic srry just reread your note. 2 X 400 MH should be plenty. If this is a planted tank anyway, I cant see 80% water change per day. I do 30% weekly on my 150 and have never had any issues with my discus. A 250 gallon tank would beOK to raise discus in, but not to breed them in. If ppl are confusing breeding scenerio info with community type info here maybe.

On a planted tank regardless of the fish type, I certainly wouldnt be doing a 80% W/C on it anyways. Day in day out that would not be good for the plants. Your removing to much saturated C02 , trace elements, iron, and other benifical ferts for the plants. Yes you can make up for it by dosing everyday and then some. Now that would be a waste of money IMO.

Garhan