Sulawesi snail babies!!

bottomdweller_fan

I finally have pictures of my sulawesi snail babies! They were born about 4 weeks ago. The pictures show the largest one, there are also 2 others.

They are Tylomelania sp.

For those interested, the tank information is:

Volume: 21 US gallons (79.5 litres)

pH: 8.03

ammonia: 0 ppm

nitrites: 0 ppm

nitrates: 0-5 ppm

kH: 71.6 ppm

Temperature: 24 - 25°C

Fairly heavily planted, sand substrate, sponge filter, other tank mates are: red cherry shrimp, black crystal shrimp (bee), tiger shrimp, orange shrimp (Caridina sp.), amano shrimp, Malaysian trumpet snails, pond snails

Adult and baby

snailandbaby.jpg

Adult eating

snaileating.jpg

Should I come out?

snail.jpg

They sometimes go partway under the sand but most of the time just roam the tank.

There are 3 babies, they seem to grow very slowly.

They are very nice. Snails are really quite amazing little guys. Snail watching is almost as fun as fish gazing. Where did you find them?

Juanita

They only seem to have a few babies at a time, like MTS. In fact, they are not as prolific as MTS. In the 2-3 months that I have had them, I have only seen the 3 babies.

DO they have only a few babies at a time? Or do they lay egg clusters like some other snails?

These snails are so new in the hobby they don't know much about them. I am not sure if they need 2 sexes or if they are like Malaysian Trumpet snails where the females can give birth without a male.

Hopefully, they will have more babies and I will have a better idea of how they reproduce.

• 1 month later...