bristlenose breading question

herefishyfish fishy

So I have two albino bristlenose longfin males. I would like to find some females and see what happens. My question is what happens if you try and breed longfins with conventional ones. Also any tips for getting pleco's to breed. Not trying to make this a business or anything just want to see what I can produce. Thanks for your imput. J

Don't use bread. :smokey:

Actually there are certain techniques and conditions that help encourage BN's to get it on. Simulating dry season conditions beforehand (warm water, sparse water changes) and then temperature drops in conjunction with large water changes make it seem like the rainy season has arrived. This is typically what plecos wait for in the wild.

Providing a cave (BN's are cave spawners) with some water current flowing across (not towards and into) the cave opening. Lots of foods available for the females and males to fatten up on (provide veggies such as thick slices of cucumber/zucchini). The males will trap a female in their cave until she leaves hims ome eggs. He'll then release her and guard the eggs until they hatch and become free swimming, kicking them out when they're old enough to go.

Cool thanks for the info, what about hybrids. Breading longfins and normal. Would I get longfins or not or maybe both?

Stop using bread! :P

I would bet that you would end up with short fins. I've got a similar mix in one of my plec brEEding tanks, bunch of commons in with a longfin male. We'll see what happens. Perhaps medium fins?

Albino is recessive to normal color, so the kids would all be brown. I have no idea about the long-fin trait.

2 Albino will reproduce Albino's. One Albino and one regular will not reproduce Albino's

But an albino mixed with a regular albino mix will have some ragular and some albino.

2 Albino will reproduce Albino's. One Albino and one regular will not reproduce Albino's

But an albino mixed with a regular albino mix will have some ragular and some albino.

If it follows basic Mendallion genetic theory, the fish has to have received an albino gene from each of it's parents in order to have the albino coloration. As far as I know albino is always recessive to regular color, so albino carries double recessive genes. A regular color genetically could be carrying 2 genes (one from each parent) for the normal color, or 1 gene for normal and 1 for albino (again 1 from each parent). In this last case, with carrying 1 recessive albino gene and mated with an albino, there is a 1 in 4 chance of producing an albino from what looks like a regular crossed with an albino.

If it follows basic Mendallion genetic theory, the fish has to have received an albino gene from each of it's parents in order to have the albino coloration. As far as I know albino is always recessive to regular color, so albino carries double recessive genes. A regular color genetically could be carrying 2 genes (one from each parent) for the normal color, or 1 gene for normal and 1 for albino (again 1 from each parent). In this last case, with carrying 1 recessive albino gene and mated with an albino, there is a 1 in 4 chance of producing an albino from what looks like a regular crossed with an albino.

yes "basic Mendallion theory" indeed! LOL. I have know idea what that is all about, me nun 2 edumacated. Anyway I think I get what you are saying. Basicly if you want a perticular type you want to have two parents of that type. ie 2 long fin albino make long fin albino fry. Thanks a bunch to all of you for your info especially the really smart sounding stuff. :thumbs: