Scratch or Not???

malawi_luver

Hey Yall im planning to assemble a 55 gallon hoping to be finished in around september but i was wondering wheter it would be a good idea to start with the tank and light then just to buy a kit... I was also thinking of a all mbuna tank because i want to overcrowd... ok well here is what i was thinking

Scratch:

55 gallon tank & lights (flourescent) - 150.00$

Sand (play sand) & Decorations (slate) - 50$ - 100$

Filter - Dont Know (help me)

Heater - Dont Know (help me)

Pump - Elite 14$

Background - Black paint 10$

Around 500$ in all...

The Kit (250$)Comes With:

55 gallon with lights

Filter - Aqua Clear 500

Heater - 200 watt

Air Tubing

Food

Water Conditioner

Net

thermometer

Could you also tell me which kind of mbuna i could put in this tank and what are my options... i would want some more aggresive types not yellow labs or aceis.

Which is the Way to Go???

Go with the kit, it looks like a decent package. try to get an "ebo jager" heater, as they are the best. price looks reasonable.

As far as fish go, it all depends on what you want.

Do some research and ask questions for compatiblity, its hard to tell you what to put, It depends on individual taste.

Here is a good site to start your reasearch:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php

Good Luck,

Rahim

Well Rahim i was thinking a more aggresive but dont have a huge selection of mbuna in edmonton but i have seen some of the tanks that these people have and was wondering if i could probably get them shipped from calgary... i was wondering about fishboy or you or some other people i could get some fish from say your names and a list and i would like to have maybe you can breed me some fish :D

malawi luver :rolleyes:

If you select your species right you can have a mixed tank. I have Mbuna with haps and they all get along fine. I did have peacocks in the tank with them before but they did get picked on and had to be removed. Alot also depends on the fish's personality.

But if you choose some of the less aggresive species of mbuna they can do ok living with haps.

where are some good places in edmonton and i would probably go with blue cause thats a very interesting kinds of fish and maybe some orange and yellow im thinking kenyi, desmoni, maylandia estherae, red top zebra, electric yellow(maybe) ,polit, Elgonatus, Jalo Reef

www.fordsfantasticfish.com

I want 6 of each of these

Polit

Jalo Reef

Hajomaylandi

Red Tops

You think that this would be sufficent??