C02 and plants...issues..

uwish

How do you monitor CO2? or do you 'imply' levels by monitoring PH?

Just curious as all the documentation I have read is saying 30 -50 ppm of CO2 concentrations are ideal but no one says anything about HOW to test levels...

S

You can use the pH and kH chart (not very accurate) or a pH controller will also work. Or you can get a drop checker like these...

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=20233

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=20165

:)

wow, great responses. I think I have my new pressurized system right where I want it. Now, I have more questions... :)

lighting. My lighting is ..basic. Came with the tank. T5 low profile dual 54W (48in) lighting strip. I know it isn't enough for the average planted tank. Hence, I am looking to upgrade.

My understanding is the 2WPG general rule of thumb, I am thinking of going to something else. Can I have some recommendations? I am not able to 'hang' any lights so it has to be tank mounted.

I was looking at the Current USA brand (4 x 54W strips) but there are quite a few like the Orbit or Satellite brands. For a 100G tank, would 4 x 54 watts be enough?

the 'lunar lights' sound interesting, I currently have no 'night lights' so when the time shuts the lights off, the tank is dark (minus any room light).

I did lots of research before getting a pressurized CO2 system, looks light the 'lighting' issue is going to take almost as must research.

please advice a guy who has only had 'stalk tank lights'

thanks in advance!

If it's in the budget, then it's a lot simpler to buy a lighting system like the Current USA brand or others. 2 WPG with T5 lights is considered high light - the 2WPG rule is more for less intense lighting like T12 or T8. It's a good thing you do have the pressurised CO2 b/c you'll need it to help keep algae at bay if you upgrade to 4x54W.

Is your 100gal a 4' tank? If not, I'd probably buy the lights seperately and mount them to the canopy myself so I can spread them out across the whole tank. I believe Leon71 has some pics of how he did that. Check out his photo gallery.

I would go with the AH Supply 3x96W (http://ahsupply.com/96watt.htm) light for your tank. There are two ballasts here which can be operated on separate timers, so i would have two lights go on for 9-10 hours a day with a "burst" of light (from the third light) at "high noon" for a few hours. The AH Supply lights are some of the most highly recommended lights in the aquarium plant hobby. If you want something quick (and a little more expensive), then I would look in the Hagen GLO series (which is what I have on one of my tanks). With T5HO lighting these lights are very powerful and their 4' fixture should be enough for your needs (plus it's tank mounted!).

Edited by jbot

How deep is the tank? That can be a factor as well. You will want enough light to reach the bottom- especially if you're planning to grow compact carpet plants.

Good question, it is slightly wider than it is deep. I would guess without measuring in the 44-46" range (51" wide).

• 2 weeks later...
Simply test your Ph. Medicine Hat water is around 120 ppm KH delivered around 7.8 Ph. I add CO2 gradually down to 6.8 and eureka! 32 ppm C02.

Download CO2 calculator @ Chucks Planted Aquarium

That is only true if Carbonate is the only buffer in the water; otherwise, the CO2 chart is useless.

Good question, it is slightly wider than it is deep. I would guess without measuring in the 44-46" range (51" wide).

I think werner was asking how far it is from the top to the bottom of the tank... I seriously doubt your water depth is anywhere close to 4 feet. If it is, I AM SO JEALOUS!!! :drool: