motoro rays

tonton

I have been told that a 130 gallon 6' long would be plenty for 2 adult rays... Also I have seen 5 rays kept all there life in a 200 gallon so I don't see it being a big problem putting 2 rays in your 150 gallon...

Well i don't know where you found or seen this but they must of been tea cup rays! Motoros get up to around 26" or even larger and a tank with anything less than 24" is way to little i actually recomend as many else will at least a 36" wide by 76" long tank for rays it you want to keep then for life. Rudy do you have any thoughts on this i've seen your ray tank..

Edited by CORVETTE

hehe the 150 is the only monster tank that i have in my budget lol. unless someone with a 200+ gal tank wants to sell it.

Check out these threads:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=19670

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=18591

It is still pending

If interested let me know.

Well i don't know where you found or seen this but they must of been tea cup rays! Motoros get up to around 26" or even larger and a tank with anything less than 24" is way to little i actually recomend as many else will at least a 36" wide by 76" long tank for rays it you want to keep then for life. Rudy do you have any thoughts on this i've seen your ray tank..

No these were close to adults. Not teacups. Definitely not full grown though they were probably only about 16". But with so many rays I was sure that they were going to be needing a larger tank...just was not to sure how large they got. I am still learning about rays and was just giving some advice that I had been given. Thank you for correcting my statement CORVETTE.

But also I have seen many 16-20 inch rays kept in tanks as small as 75 gallons. Something I would never do for sure!!

Well i hope you all took me the right way i didn't want to come across like a kid on MFK. I've been doing a lot of reserch on rays and talking to ray people and i find the best statement i've heard is with rays its all in the tanks foot print the bigger the better. i would love a 36"wide x 76 long or a 42"w x 76"l but it all costs money.

You bet we would all love to have a 300 gallon aquarium in our home! In order for me to get one I would have to probably sell all 24 tanks I own just to get one!! LOL

I would recommend that if you were looking to keeping many rays to just build a really large pond in your home to house them. That is currently in the works for myself. And then I am hoping to house a lease 6 rays. Pond dimensions are going to be 4' X 10' X 30" approximately 550 gallons. :thumbs:

Look into plywood tanks with a glass front. Cheap and easy to build, and you can build them as big as you need for rays. For under $300 you can do a 8x4x2 tank/pond, out of 3/4 plywood and potable water epoxy, and then all you need to make it a tank is to find a sheet of glass and a tube of silicone.

As Corvette said, you're going to need a wide tank for motoros for life; at least 30" wide and a minimum of 6' long. Wider is always better with rays; they'd do better in a 6'x3' tank than any 2' wide tank, no matter how long it is. And as Jonah also said, they do grow quick, so even though you might be able to start them in 75, within a year you ARE going to be needing a much larger tank.