mbuna decomposing when alive*

rED O

I have a small male red top zebra in my 90 gallon malawi tank. This morning he was on the sand gasping for oxygin or somthing, I saw that were his vents are theres a huge hole. He was fine 2 days ago, he had great color and he was one of the agressive males too.Is this a bactiral infection or a type of fungus infection? my water readings are

pH-7.5

nitrate-5

nitraite-0

amonia-0

here are a few pictures. the male red top is still alive too.

Picture003-7.jpg

Picture002-10.jpg

Picture001-10.jpg

any idea at all?

Are you sure another fish isn't eating him?

Looks like bites to me.

Rick

any idea at all?

Are you sure another fish isn't eating him?

Looks like bites to me.

Rick

no its rounded, and its bigger than then there mouths, it has been getting bigger over the past 2 days.i think its bactrail

Is there any way you can treat him? Maybe add some melafix, salt, something? Poor thing, I'm surprised it is still alive.

First things first in my newbe opinion one thing i do know is Quarentine immediately. I wish i could help with diagnosis but i have no clue. I'd try melafix and it might be an internal infection. I know you can buy anti bacterial and anti fungal food so try that too. Like i said before i'm new to fish but i've been reading and listening and as far as i know you can try these things i've recommended without causeing more harm. Good luck.

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about your loss. If there is ever a next time, QT him so that the other fish cannot pick on him, and use a combo of melafix and pimafix in the tank. This will help with any bacterial and fungal infections. Poor thing, it was probably like Val said, he hurt himself somehow and it turned into an infection.

had that same problem and ended up catching my inspector pleco (Carniverous) eating a fish while still alive.