Wild Native Fish

Just an update, I was at Pembina river again this past week and have some great shots of fish that I can scratch off my list. They are: Sucker (Catostomus sp.), Lake Chub (Cousius plumbeus), Pearl Dace (Margariscus margarita) and the elusive Trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus).

I am going to be in Kenora, Ontario, at Lake of the Woods for the next 2 weeks. I am bringing my rods, nets, and photo tank. Hopefully I can get some pics of fishes we don't see here.

See you all again at the end of the month!!

Taylor :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a beautiful area of ontario. top notch. they are definatley more diverse aswell.

good luck :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much 2manytanks!

Geoff- thanks for the good luck wishes, I certainly had some luck on my hands. You are right about the beauty and diversity as well, anyone wishing to study aquatic ecosystems would do well there.

So here I have a lot of new shots some of them are definitely PBs (Personal Bests) and I am quite proud of them. Most of all though, the Smallmouth Bass shots are most amazing to me, they are the most beautiful wild fish I have shot in the field and I would be very pleased to keep one in aquaria.

Here is a selection of number ones from the Pembina River (and the Pike shot is from Lake of the Woods):

Possibly White Sucker (Catostomus commersoni)

Catostomussp.jpg

Couesius plumbeus- The Lake Chub, this is a male in breeding condition (see orange patch on base of pectoral fin)

Couesiusplumbeus.jpg

Margariscus margarita- Pearl Dace, this is an extremely small juvenile (almost slips through the net). I have shots of larger adult if anyone wants to see.

Margariscusmargarita.jpg

Percopsis omiscomaycus- The Trout-Perch, very hard to catch in it's prefered habitat

Percopsisomiscomaycus.jpg

And my personal favorite fish (hence my ID "Slough Shark")...

Esox lucius- The Northern Pike, this was the smallest specimen I could catch with my hook. I have yet to see a juvenile small enough for the net...

Esoxlucius.jpg

So those are my pics as edited so far. I think I will touch up that pike shot a bit more, with big fish like that, they stir up all of the junk at the bottom and make it hard for a clear shot. Couldn't bring my filter to either of these locations since there was no where to plug in- that was a shame. All of the pembina shots are silty from the river water, but I have developed new techniques to get around this as you will see with the Bass pics which I hope to have fully edited soon.

Tell me which your favorite is! So far I like the Trout-perch most (besides the bass) it's like a Trophy.

I hope y'all like em,

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark

Tell me which your favorite is! So far I like the Trout-perch most (besides the bass) it's like a Trophy.

I hope y'all like em,

Taylor

They are all great, but I like the Pike shot the most, I never really thought of it as a good looking fish but you've brought out the colour really well and I think given me a bit of a different perspective on it.

Thank you both very much for your compliments, they are appreciated.

Here is the adult Pearl Dace shot for you Patrick. Of course this could be a female or non-breeding male Lake Chub as well, these fish are very hard to tell apart.

PearlDace.jpg

Logperch (Albertan Species) and Smallmouth Bass pics to follow very soon.

Thanks,

Taylor

Here we go, these next shots are real gems in my collection. Both were not easy to catch amd are very beautiful in my eyes, so they are trophies in every sense of the word!

Percina caprodes- The Logperch (a close relative of the previously shown Iowa Darter)

Logperch2.jpg

Micropterus dolomieui- The Smallmouth Bass (:drool:)

Bass.jpg

Doesn't seem to have such a small mouth in this shot :lol: This is by far my favorite wild fish shot I have taken.

Large-mouthedSmallmouth12.jpg

SmallSmallie.jpg

I hope you enjoy these ones as much as I do!

Taylor

The half-eaten fish photo is great! The little fish looks much bigger in that pic compared to the others. : )

Thanks guys!

The little Bass were always nearly bursting with food in their guts, they clearly have a serious appetite for anything smaller than them. And as you can tell from the half-eaten shot, their eyes are sometimes too big for their stomachs!

That one was quite a lot larger than the others that I caught, about 2.5". The only reason I was able to catch him was because he had the half-digested fish (stickleback I think) stuck in it's jaws, needless to say it was a little tough for him to swim.

Taylor