Wild Native Fish

Hey guys,

I brought my almost completed photo tank out to Pigeon Lake last week. The background is still not finished unfortunately, so some of the pics have white blotches in the background, but I think this series of shots turned out quite well.

I tried my best to find a juvenile Walleye, Pike or Perch to show you guys, but all I could catch this time were Iowa Darters and Juvie Burbot. I didn't even see any Juvie Walleye or Pike, but there were some large Perch schools and I caught a total of 14 small Burbot!! No Minnows on my side of the lake yet, but the Darters were a good compensation.

Here's what I ended up with:

Etheostoma exile- The Iowa Darter

Picture0372.jpg

Picture0342.jpg

489_89722.jpg

489_89112.jpg

And Lota lota- The Burbot

Picture0502.jpg

Picture0142.jpg

Picture0482.jpg

Picture0422.jpg

And here's what the Burbot looks like after I lift up his hiding stone:

490_9021.jpg

If anyone's wondering, the photo tank is an Eclipse System 6 that gets set up on the cabin porch where I can plug in the filter and light. Enjoy!

Taylor

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff Slough Shark you should try getting some pics of Iowa darters around next May long weekend the males are in full bloom and are spectacular

Thanks people.

Patrick- No new camera sadly, some of those pics are taken with my Canon G5, but most are with my Dad's Nikon D40 which yielded some of the better shots.

BigA- I knew I had to get some shots of the Juvie Burbot (luckily they are so common) since they look so like our familiar aquarium fish (I thought them quite like gobies).

JORG- Thanks, I was pretty angry that I didn't have my photo tank ready for their breeding season- you're right they are like a christmas tree! Maybe next year...

Thanks again guys, the system worked quite well and the background will be finished by tommorow I hope. Next up are minnows and perch I should think.

Taylor

Very cool pics! I never knew that burbot were that shallow and easy to catch when small. I've always thought a native tank would look so cool full of perch (and a pike if you were able to catch a small enough one), and burbot or two on the bottom would definitely full things out. It's just too bad that it's not legal to do.

Thanks guys,

Poohbah- I took just one pic of the whole tank, should have taken another when all the silt had settled. I decided to use the back of the Eclipse 6 because it is flat and would cause less distortion than the front in my shots. So what would be the front is covered with peat moss on the inside. Anyways here is the shot of the silty photo tank before fish introduced...

FTS.jpg

Nothing fancy!

Taylor

• 5 weeks later...

Hello peeps,

I went out again last weekend and brought the photo tank. Unfortunately, the dang algae has come alive and the lake is too murky for net-fishing in the shallows. I could only catch some juvenile minnows in the extreme shallows. I will have to wait till Autumn before I can start small fish fishing again, by then I should have my seine net and I can catch some of the harder to get fishes (like the big Perch and big Minnows, possibly Juvie Walleye and Pike too). Here is the best of this weekend's catch:

Notropus hudsonius- the Spottail Shiner

spottail.jpg

I am pleased with it, but the fish was so small that it is hard to get good, detailed shots. Maybe in the fall I will get lucky with a big minnow.

Taylor