Petris and Upside Downers

humpty

I currently have 3 Syno petricola's about 3 inches and 3 upside down catfish about 2.5 to 3" and 3 discus also about 3 inches. This is an 80g tank. I had a couple of cardinal tetras and a couple rasboras in there as well but am I now down to 1. I am assuming the catfish got them. I was planning on adding about 20 cardinals but am worried that the catfish will start picking them off. I have a 33g tank that I can setup and I was wondering if 3 petris and 3 upside downers would be okay in a 33g tank? Also what would go good with them?

In a 33 you could go w. the cats and a few cichlids. Both cats are riverine species from Africa, but do well with Rift Lake cichlids, too.

Julidochromis would be a good choice for a 33, as would many Lamprologous/Neolamp's. A 33 is on the small size for most mbuna, but you could do a species tank (as long as it's really filtered) for mbuna or possibly peacocks (I have I think 14 yellow labs in a 37, all 2-3"). I wouldn't rule out the discus as eating the tetras either; they are a cichlid, and an opportunistic predator. Some are probably fine with small fish, whereas others may see them as food.

In a 33 you could go w. the cats and a few cichlids. Both cats are riverine species from Africa, but do well with Rift Lake cichlids, too.

That isn't quite correct. The upside downs are riverine, but the petricola's are from Lake Tanganyika.

That isn't quite correct. The upside downs are riverine, but the petricola's are from Lake Tanganyika.

I read that petricola inhabit the tributaries of Tanganyika more than the lake itself.

I wouldn't rule out the discus as eating the tetras either; they are a cichlid, and an opportunistic predator. Some are probably fine with small fish, whereas others may see them as food.

Yeah, I would agree with this, more likely especially if what you are calling upside down catfish are Synodontis nigriventris (there are a few others that can end up with this name as well)

Both cats are riverine species from Africa, but do well with Rift Lake cichlids, too.

Petricola's (or lucipinnis) are from the lake as stated above... if you have S.nigriventris(upside down catfish) you should not put them with rift lake cichlids, they will survive... for a while, but do not like the water conditions and do not compete well with the cichlids, being fairly shy...it is just not a good idea for their well being.

Birger

Edited by birger