fry growth?

fatpuffer

why is it that when the fry are left with the parents they grow faster? my fry in my temp fry tank are probable half the size of the fry left with the parents. is there any growht hormones released in the water that would make them grow faster?

i do frequent h2o change as well and the fry with parents do not get the frequent change...just an interesting observation.

js

I have found that as well. I imagine it is because there are less fry left with the parents and probably get a better supply of food. Uneaten by parents I would assume.

I am not entirely sure, but I experience the same with any fry left in the parents tank.

I'd imagine that your tank sizes and water changes do play a role. If you could figure out fry per gallon or something like that in the two tanks and then compare this with frequency/percentage water changes it may show something. Fish release pheromones into the water that will control their growth and the growth of those around them. The pheromones essentially slow down the growth of the other fish. The more frequent the water changes, the less pheromones in the water, and the faster the fish will grow, but this is also dependent on food supply. I try feeding my fry as many times a day as I can. This often means feeding as much as they can eat in five minutes, waiting 10 minutes, then feeding again, often doing this three times in a row (yes, it does take a while!). I've been doing this and daily/every other day water changes with my fry lately and the growth rates have been nothing short of amazing.