Mini Canister Filter

Slough Shark

I am looking at getting a small canister filter for my 20 gallon, which will be a Paludarium, so there should end up being about 8-10 gallons of water. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used any recomendable brands?

I was looking at this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage...ilter_c_80.html

Or is there something I could easily rig up for this purpose?

Thanks,

Taylor

I bought one of those hoping to do the same thing with a 20g but it didn't work out. The cannister filter wouldn't work unless the water level was 1-2" from the top of the tank. The little cannister couldn't provide enough suction if the water was any lower.

So I scrapped the mini cannister idea(I now use it on another aquarium) and went with a powerhead with a sponge filter attachment. Works much better then the mini cannister.

Hey Taylor,

I could be wrong but I don't think the Fluval 1 will give you flow control. You would need a minimum of a Fluval 2 for that feature (which in a paladarium, would probably be ideal). If you just need to move water, you might also consider a fountain pump.

I had the Toms mini canister for about a year and was very happy with it, but while cleaning it one day the inlet fitting snapped off, very brittle, thin plastic. It may just have been a bad one, it's too bad because the little thing worked pretty well.

I use a fluval 103 on a tank to circulate the water. It sits on the same shelf level as the tank, but the both the intake and outlet tubes are below the water level. Also I use a fluval 3+ internal filter on my toad paludarium with out issue.

I used a Fluval 103 on a 20 gal palaudarium for quite a while. I had it sitting under the stand and used the spraybar to spray the rocky shoar, which kept the humidity up for the FBTs and newts.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Murmade- I have read elsewhere that those tubes were too thin and flimsy, I'd just rather not risk it.

Nick- I did see that you had an internal filter in your frog tank wa back when, so I think I will be trying out the Aquaball.

Jason- The reason I wanted the canister to begin with was so that I could spray the rocks, just like yours. But that would be a problem because I would probably end up drowning the plants.

It'll be a while yet till I get things going, but I am enjoying throwing ideas around right now.

Thanks,

Taylor