Which filter?? what Size?

MTAR

So this where I'm at. I have a 45 long and 10 gal on the way and I'm in the process saving up for a 125 gal. I need advice on all spectrums with regards to cichlids. but right now I'm at the start, so I'm gathering gear. Filters are next on my list. so any pointers? is it better to have more filter than needed???

First you need to decide what you can afford. AC's seem to work the best and are easy to use, for their price range, and for the smaller tanks. For the larger tanks, Ehiem seems to be the leading brand for canister filters, with Rena XP3 close behind.

for a 10gallon, a AC (means Aquaclear by hagen), mini can do the trick.

For a 45 gallon, you have many options, canisters, HOB (Hang off the back, which is what the aquaclears are), it all depends on the type and amount of fish, and the price range. Im a college kid, so cheap is my path, but if you have the spare cash, go as big as possible, and you'll thank us later.

For a 125, there are even more options, like overflows and sumps, were you clean the water in a secondary tank outside of the main tank, then pump it back up. Great filtration, but can get costly...

I hope this made some sense, as Im quite tried.

Best bet, if you have time, is to order online, or if you're in a hurry, go to Golds (If you're in Calgary), if you're not in Calgary, drive to golds.

i am really happy with my xp3...easy to clean and no need to prime. it also have lots of space for bioballs and such. it was not as noisy as i thought i would be. i give it two thumbs up.

if you can afford eheim, i heard they are the "gold" standard of canisters.

goodluck

js

For a 125, there are even more options, like overflows and sumps, were you clean the water in a secondary tank outside of the main tank, then pump it back up. Great filtration, but can get costly...

I hope this made some sense, as Im quite tried.

Best bet, if you have time, is to order online, or if you're in a hurry, go to Golds (If you're in Calgary), if you're not in Calgary, drive to golds.

Thanks guys, FishManTy, How big does the secondary tank need to be?... Golds that's where I just picked up my 45 long from, talking about my 45 gal I think I'm going to try and track down a xp2 or 3. I was looking at a used fluval 404 for 40$ but I've heard that they are not the highest in quality.

I have a fluval 404... bought it new, and Im not disappointed with it... The only thing I hate, is when Im sort tempered, and the damn thing refuses to prime. I've found ways to force prime it, but thats hard to explain, so bah

Well, for a sump example... I have a 150gallon, with a 33gallon sump (Thats were my bioballs, sponge, carbon, and Magdrive 12 are). Works great! I don't remember who, but someone else... canuckle maybe, has a 180gallon with I think a 45-55 gallon sump. Also ask yourself where you are putting this... mine as a standpipe (Allows water to drop less distance and less splashing sounds), and its still kinda loud. If its near a bedroom, I'd advise against a sump, or I'd go all out on making it quite. Mine is in the basement, and the sound system drown's it out when I watch tv, so no problems with mine.

its all proportional. The bigger, the more water, the better the tank in my opinion.

Golds orders from the guy that my tank came from, so you'd get a similar setup depending on what he had around the shop to make a sump from. When I got mine, he had a few sitting around the shop, and they were quite cheap.

Talk to dennis, and Im sure he hook you up with a sweet deal.

My tank: (You can see the corner of the sump... I'll try to get a better picture later...) Snuggled nicely in there, with 2 10gallon fry tanks beside it... works fantastic!. You can see the overflow in the back left corner of the tank, sorta hidden by lava rock. I also use a Fluval 4Plus to get the water near the bottom moving. better filtration

150gallon.jpg

hi,i have two 45's both with africans i have been keeping fish for 6 years. and if you want the best filtration go with an eheim. the pro series is my fave.... the fish love to dig dig dig, so plaace the intake a few inches above the sand... the spray bar is nice as it adds water movement.. just my opinion... i always over filter.. good-luck.

canuckle maybe, has a 180gallon with I think a 45-55 gallon sump. Also ask yourself where you are putting this... mine as a standpipe (Allows water to drop less distance and less splashing sounds), and its still kinda loud.

Hey MTAR,

Once you go sump, you'll never go back. OK, bad joke, but with a lot of truth in it. I debated for a long time setting up the 180g, and explored many, many, many filter options.

Since I was going with sand and a lot of rock, and wanted a lot of stock, I decided to go the sump route (50g). It's not that loud, and when the canopy is finished it will be quiet enough. Advantage of sump...excellent filtration, very little cleaning of the show tank (with exception of algae growth, etc) and all equipment is in the sump instead of in the show tank ( heaters, pump, bio, etc.).

I also have a 90g with 2 AQ500 filters. Both tanks are crystal clear at all times, and fish are very healthy.

Once piece of advice...over filter. If you think you can get by with 1 AQ300, use 2. If you think you can get by with a canister, use a small hang-on-back filter as well. My AQ500s are set up with sponge, filter floss, and sponge in that order, in each filter.

I like HOB filters for their mechanical and bio filtration combo, which is sometimes harder to accomplish with a canister. Sumps (or wet/dry for us freshwater folks) are great at both.

Good luck, hope I haven't confused the issue too much. Feel free to post back with questions, or PM if you want specifics.

Cheers.