Repairing a crack in AC

firestorm

I finally bought a large tank for my large CA cichlids. The guy had an AC110, and an AC 70 for it. The AC110 has been fine and up an running to seed it with bacteria, but the 70 seems to have a small crack in it where it slowly leaks. Is there any good way of repairing it? I checked the filter itself and it does work fine, but it's just that darn crack. Could I use some silicon on it to repair it? Does anyone know if it will stick to the plastic? Anything else I can use to repair it?

:blush: sorry for asking so many questions on AC's guys...lol nothing but troubles lately

5 minute epoxy works well.

5 Min epoxy will work well, just remember to do a little sanding over the cracked area and then wash and dry it before applying epoxy. Keep the top off for 24 hours so you don't glue it on. 5 min to set but usualy 24 hrs to compleatly cure so no bad stuff will get in the water.

Edited by randy

The crack is actually in one of the bottom corners of the media box. So sanding might be a little difficult, unless i can apply it to the outside of the crack, but I don't want to take any chances. Don't know how the guy managed to get a crack in it there, but who knows :)

If you crumple a bit of emery cloth you will be able to get it into the corners to sand with. Also it will work on the outside, just make suer that you have a good layer over the crack.

I'm all for repairing, because of keeping things out of landfills and possibly saving some money, but I just had to throw in here that with ACs being quite cheap at at least a couple of retailers in Calgary, would it maybe be better to pick up a new one? I would just worry about the repair coming undone over time, or the crack spreading somehow. Most of us know how frustrating finding a lake of water on the floor can be... just my 2 cents. I hope you get it solved one way or the other. :)

At the moment the filter is not needed, but I was hoping to have it as a spare just in case another filter went. I was going to have it on one of my tanks for some extra filtration in case of emergency, so it is not a huge deal or a huge rush to get it fixed. :D