Fish and tank size

Lana Bollers

How long can approx. 6 Front's and 6 Blue Dolphins stay in a 90 gal tank, dimensions are:

48 1/2" x 18 1/2" x 25 3/8", The front's i currently have as well as the dolphins are all under 2.5"

I just want to know before I put the money into this, if I should or not... currently there is no cannister filter for this unit only two that hang over the side...

Lana

Lana,

I would say it depends on what else is in the tank. I see in your signature that you have two dolphins and two frontosa and a few other fish. I believe you would be alright for awhile because I know the dolphins are a slow grower and I am not too sure but I think the fronts are too.

I am currently at about 1.75 inch of fish per gallon in my 90 gal. With that said , I am also doing 35% WC a week and running a canister good for 90 Gal a AquaClear 110 and a AC70.

Cichlids can be overstocked to help control agression. As a rule it should be 1inch per gallon, with cichlids i would go about 1.5 in per gallon.

Derek

Lana,

I would say it depends on what else is in the tank. I see in your signature that you have two dolphins and two frontosa and a few other fish. I believe you would be alright for awhile because I know the dolphins are a slow grower and I am not too sure but I think the fronts are too.

I am currently at about 1.75 inch of fish per gallon in my 90 gal. With that said , I am also doing 35% WC a week and running a canister good for 90 Gal a AquaClear 110 and a AC70.

Cichlids can be overstocked to help control agression. As a rule it should be 1inch per gallon, with cichlids i would go about 1.5 in per gallon.

Derek

I am actually going to take the two dolphins out of the other tank, the two fronts can stay in there as I don't want to mix species of front's. I have three dolphins coming from Spensors and two from Lisa, so that would be 7 dolphins, and then the Fronts which I have not purchased. I just want to be sure I am good for a minimum of two years.

Before I go ahead a buy...

Lana

Frontosas grow quickly when they are small, but slow down at about 4-5" and grow slower. So you might have enough room for at least another year. I don't know about 2 years though. Dolphins grow large and faster than the fronts. It also depends on the type of cichlid with whether or not they can be overstocked. Mbuna and some other african cichlids can be overstocked, but others should really have tons of room to grow and swim. Fronts are one that I wouldn't over crowd. The dolphins you probably can however.

I have decided against the 90 gal, I am looking for a 6' 180 gal. Dayrude, sent me a message about his uncles, but I can not get a hold of him for the life of me, not sure if he is on Holidays now or not...

Lana

If you plan on breeding the frontosas I can almost guarantee that if you even slightly overcrowd them they will not do anything in the way of breeding. They will not tolerate many fish in with them and at that the slower the better but you have to pick species that will not get eaten. The blue dolphins and calvus and compesssiceps are good choices, but fast moving fish like predators are not. Fast moving fish agitate the fronts and they are worried about the faster fish eating their eggs as they are laid. I had a female become egg bound rather than lay them, so that is where I learned my lesson.

As far as growth - in ideal conditions and a larger tank you could expect a 1" front to hit 6" for a male and 4 1/2" for a female in the first year. More normally it would be in the range of 4 to 5" and 3 1/2 to 4". Then the growth rate slows right down but they do continue to grow as long as they live, which I have read is 25 to 30 years. My F1 burundi male is now @15 years old or so and he has grown in the 2 1/2 years I've had him from @10" to 12". Mind you the peson I rescued him from was not giving him the proper diet. I haven't seen it but I did read on the 'net that someone in the U.S. had a 21" male, so yes they can get to be a pretty good size.

As mentioned a 6' tank is the minimum size for fronts if you plan on having a group of 5 or more. 1 or 3 might do alright in a 4' 90G. as long as they were the sole occupants but anything smaller would be cramping their style. You may have noticed I said 1 or 3 - 2 is not a good number as they look passive in nature and they usually are to all other fish except each other. When it comes down to aggressive you haven't seen anything until you have witnessed 2 males fighting and if you get 2 small ones and they both turn out to be males at some point they are going to duke it out and there is sometimes just one survivor. At least with 3 or more there is a chance to disperse some aggression.

If you plan on breeding the frontosas I can almost guarantee that if you even slightly overcrowd them they will not do anything in the way of breeding. They will not tolerate many fish in with them and at that the slower the better but you have to pick species that will not get eaten. The blue dolphins and calvus and compesssiceps are good choices, but fast moving fish like predators are not. Fast moving fish agitate the fronts and they are worried about the faster fish eating their eggs as they are laid. I had a female become egg bound rather than lay them, so that is where I learned my lesson.

As far as growth - in ideal conditions and a larger tank you could expect a 1" front to hit 6" for a male and 4 1/2" for a female in the first year. More normally it would be in the range of 4 to 5" and 3 1/2 to 4". Then the growth rate slows right down but they do continue to grow as long as they live, which I have read is 25 to 30 years. My F1 burundi male is now @15 years old or so and he has grown in the 2 1/2 years I've had him from @10" to 12". Mind you the peson I rescued him from was not giving him the proper diet. I haven't seen it but I did read on the 'net that someone in the U.S. had a 21" male, so yes they can get to be a pretty good size.

As mentioned a 6' tank is the minimum size for fronts if you plan on having a group of 5 or more. 1 or 3 might do alright in a 4' 90G. as long as they were the sole occupants but anything smaller would be cramping their style. You may have noticed I said 1 or 3 - 2 is not a good number as they look passive in nature and they usually are to all other fish except each other. When it comes down to aggressive you haven't seen anything until you have witnessed 2 males fighting and if you get 2 small ones and they both turn out to be males at some point they are going to duke it out and there is sometimes just one survivor. At least with 3 or more there is a chance to disperse some aggression.

Thank you Harold,

I am going to be purchasing six, that way once they are older I can sell the extra males off... I hope... Same with the dolphins, I am sure with that number one male is good enough and if I end up with three females that would be good too.

I am trying to find a bigger tank, in my price range, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, because I want to be able to get them a huge custom tank in about two years... Makes it hard to start saving if I spend it all in one place...

I really need to get a hold of dayrude...

Lana

Keep an eye out on kijiji too, you can sometimes find great deals on there. Or go to buy and sell edmonton, they should also have listings. I will keep my eye out for one for you. I know I was getting pricing done at golds for a 230 gallon aquarium. It would be about $700 for the tank and lid, I can't remember if the stand was included in that. But your best bet is to buy one used from someone, it will save you alot of money. If you ever need advice on fronts, ask Harold....his fronts are absolutely gorgeous.

Keep an eye out on kijiji too, you can sometimes find great deals on there. Or go to buy and sell edmonton, they should also have listings. I will keep my eye out for one for you. I know I was getting pricing done at golds for a 230 gallon aquarium. It would be about $700 for the tank and lid, I can't remember if the stand was included in that. But your best bet is to buy one used from someone, it will save you alot of money. If you ever need advice on fronts, ask Harold....his fronts are absolutely gorgeous.

I have been watching both places and even put my own ad on kijiji too...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lana