Red Parrot with hole in the head!!!!

turtlechick

Click on the Cichlid Food Canada banner or send RD a PM for info on how to get NLS to your door.

Edited by jvision

I tested again after I posted this and had a HUGE ammonia spike......I think I've got it under control now. The hardware store here sold me some ph adjuster and it helped. I also did a small water change at the time.....we'll see what happens. Thanks guys!

In my experience, I would suggest exactly the same as others here. Good food and clean water. Forget the meds and certainly forget the PH adjuster - I don't know how the guy figured that would help with an ammonia problem.

I don't know anything about your tank, your water conditions, filtering etc., but if you're having problems with ammonia in a tank that is already cycled then something has happened to cause the problem. How often are you doing water changes? How about the filter - what is it, how often do you clean it, how do you clean it - many people wash their filter parts in tap water : bad idea. Go ahead and wash the impeller and other hardware in tap water if you want, but you have to wash the bio-media in tank water, if you wash it in tap water the chlorine will kill off the bacterial colony and you'll be essentially cycleing the tank all over again. I would also suggest washing the sponges etc. in tank water too.

Medication as often causes problems as it cures them, including killing off the aforementioned bacterial colonies in some cases, Avoid them if possible.

Your food does leave something to be desired, I would strongly suggest taking the others suggestions and ordering some NLS, Omega One or another higher quality food.

But definitely water is the biggest thing, change it in small amounts every week or more often until he starts improving and the tank water parameters are not only good, but stable.

Do lots of reading, you can find pretty much anything on the internet now, and learning how evrything works is half the fun.

And don't feel bad, experience and persistence will win out.

Well, it seems you hit the nail right on the head....I was told it was okay to wash the sponges and such in tap water as long as I don't wash the "bead" things in it......sounds like every time I clean the tank, I'm having to start my cycle over again.....thanks for the help!!! What can I do now about the ammonia problem? I have a large bottle of Cycle. Will that help now that the damage is done?.....

Edited by turtlechick

I don't trust him anymore.....The first thing he told me when I asked him about his tanks was "My ammonia is ALWAYS high"....and then the Ph adjuster thing.......I think he's just there to sell me stuff that I don't need.....I might make a run to Lethbridge today...anything I could pick up there?