need to upgrade my 150

snaggle

I am looking to upgrade the lighting in my 150 dimensions are 72x18x18 (LxWxH). I currently have 2 48” T12 normal output fluorescents and 4 23w curly-Q compact fluorescents. The tank is filtered by an FX5 with the stock out but, inhabitants are; 7 orange laser corys, 1 L333 pleco, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 9+” common pleco, 4 angel fish 5 sevs, and about 50 tetras. For plants I just have jungle val.

I would like to be able to get some micro chain swards, and a mid ground plant that will fit in to the SA theme. I am going to remove the sevs and add more angels, most likely some wild caught Columbian and Peruvians as well as adding more corys and maybe some dwarf cichlids.

I need to know;

1. What are the best plants for my theme? I am thinking micro chain sward, narrow leaf sward and a couple types of val.

2. What is the best type of lighting for this tank? I am looking at T5s maybe a quad fixture. Something from a garden store maybe.

3. Can I get away with out CO2 for about a year before I plant the tank if I use root tabs and liquid ferts?

My 135 has 3 twin-strip T12 fixtures on it. The pygmy chain sword is growing like a bad weed, and my tank is a bit taller than yours! Now, I do have CO2 running and add ferts, so that helps.

IMO, if you're going to up the light, you need to add CO2 - I would upgrade to CO2 before upgrading the lights.

You've got a good idea with plants, so far. You could also go with some Crypts - they make good midground plants.

Go with a T5HO if you want to do plants, regular output T5 bulbs won't cut it in a tank that deep. As for CO2, you will need it if you upgrade your lights. Ferts and root tabs will help with plant growth but will not provide the carbon that they need. You COULD use Flourish Excel by Seachem but that gets expensive for a large tank.

There's one on Fort Rd just south of the Yellowhead - can't remember what it's called. I like All Seasons Garden Centre - they're on 81ave just west of 100st.

For CO2, and that size of tank, I recommend pressurized systems. If you have severum's in your tank, many plants will not survive. So try not getting any fish that will eat your plants, or plants that fish don't like to eat, like onion's, java ferns, anubias, amazon swords, and many others. Problem with some pleco's, is certain species get rather large and sometimes knock around your plants, thrashing them pretty badly. I have had many plants destroyed in the past from fish. Brazilian swords might work in your theme, and my sev's never really touched them. Go for a lighting unit that will give you at least 2-3 watts per gallon or slightly more. And make sure they are around 6700 spectrum. I like the T5HO's quite well, and I have heard coralife is decent as well.

IME, when adult sevrums get board, no plant is safe - I had some that ripped up swords, Java fern, Anubias... everything!

I do plan on moving my sevs out before I plant the tank too heavy, When I went to Ontario they where only fed 3 times and there was a lot of plants looking a little on the small side when I got back. I am still long term planing since I know that I will be moving out of province with in a year I want to but some stuff and save the extra tax.

At 28" tall you'll need something more intense for lighting if you want to have any ground-cover plants. You'll probably want to see if you can find MH lighting. My friend is an electrician and is changing the 400W MH fixtures out of a gym - he was able to score me a couple that I'll be setting up over my tank. See if you can find any at a good deal.

I'm pretty sure the 400W fixtures are around $60 at Architecture Clearing House by the City Centre Airport in Edmonton.

At 28" tall you'll need something more intense for lighting if you want to have any ground-cover plants. You'll probably want to see if you can find MH lighting. My friend is an electrician and is changing the 400W MH fixtures out of a gym - he was able to score me a couple that I'll be setting up over my tank. See if you can find any at a good deal.

I'm pretty sure the 400W fixtures are around $60 at Architecture Clearing House by the City Centre Airport in Edmonton.

The only thing that you would need to watch is the heat given off by 400w MH. If they came froma gym are they pendants?? If so unless you have a lot of clearance over yuor tank they will heat your water too much not to mention the heat it will generate in your room. My understanding is that most salt water people use 250w and that 400 is just too much for a freshwater set up.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, they'll be mounted at least 2' over the tank, and in the basement, so the extra heat will be nice. :)