Stringy Poop

Beermaster

Greets guys and gals, i have noticed over the last couple of days that my cichlids are having really long stringy poop, i have never noticed this before.

even my pelco had a long sucker off him yesterday as well, like i'm talkin 2"+ long on some of them

any idea or is this normal :huh:

water peramiters are ok, did a water change last night as well just to be safe. man there has to be a better way of doing all these water changes :lol:

thx

Mark

yea well kinda brownish but not white and streaky thats for sure, over feeding might be an issue, i feed them about 2 times a day and not to much, asked my wife and she said that she gives them a little during the day because they are all looking at her saying "FEED ME" and swimming up to the top of the tank lol :D

So i have told her to stop and we will cut back to one bigger meal a day and see what happens

BTW they seem to LOVE the NLS Neil! thx again, i took pictures on sunday of them and i will take some more in a month to see the difference

Mark

You're very welcome Mark, and I'm sure your fish thank you as well. ;)

I suspect your wife played a LARGE role in this. (just don't tell her I said so) :)

Two small feedings a day is fine, especially if the fish are still immature.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious .....

I usually feed my fish once a day, not more than they can eat in 2 minutes. Sometimes I skip a day. Nitrates is always below 10ppm. Haven't had any problems since changing to that schedule for feeding.

Did you quarantine your new fish from the auction?

I would also keep a close eye on them for any changes to their feces. Take note of any fish not eating as that can be a sign of trouble to come. Are any of them sitting at the bottom or gasping for air?

yup the 2 perlmutts i picked up are enjoying a little 10gal to themselfs for a couple of day to to make sure everying is good for them. but to tell you the truth, i dont understand why? i have just always read that any fish that you bring home hold then in a quarantine tank for a a couple days to a week before introducing them to you main tank.

thats good to know!!

I always quarantine my fish for a min. of 2 weeks. Then I introduce a runt from the tank they will eventually go into to see how he does. This was taught to me from someone in my family that raises and breeds discus. Reason for this is that fish can carry parasites and diseases, so if your runt does ok with them in the quarantine tank, then chances are they have no spreadable diseases to spread to your other fish. Its not a 100% safety net, but it helps.

You don't know for sure where your new fish came from, especially when bought from an auction or an LFS.

Allan