Snails

I have a 55 gallon tank and am breeding guppies. I bought a freshwater plant form pet store and ended up with snails. i keep taking them out and they just keep reappearing, it seems to be never ending. Is there something I can do to get rid of them without hurting my guppies?? The tank has a ton of guppies in different stages and is over run with snails right now. Please help!!

-Feed less and remove dead plant matter. The snail population can only grow as high as the available food source

- Remove as many by hand as possible. Everytime you see any, remove them. Place a piece of zuchini on a plate in the tank. Wait for the snails to cover it and remove, then repeat. Or just squish them.

- Buy a snail eating fish(loaches work nicely). In a 55g they might eat the odd guppy fry but will probably leave them alone if there is hiding spots of the fry. I had loaches in with my platies and they didn't eat the fry.

- Or as a last resort use a snail killer. They contain copper and will kill the snails(along with any other inverts) and its supposedly safe for fish.

You could also...add more snails!

Specifically, the snail-eating-snail, Anentome helena. It's becoming more widely available and apparently will eat a snail or two a day (but not ones bigger than itself, so specialty sails like nerites would be safe) and it won't eradicate the problem population, but will keep it in check. Apparently it's not very prolific either, so it won't create a population problem of its own.

You could also...add more snails!

Specifically, the snail-eating-snail, Anentome helena. It's becoming more widely available and apparently will eat a snail or two a day (but not ones bigger than itself, so specialty sails like nerites would be safe) and it won't eradicate the problem population, but will keep it in check. Apparently it's not very prolific either, so it won't create a population problem of its own.

I have been checking those out on aquabid...I want them and they stop reproducing once the food source is eradicated. They will then eat algae wafers apparently.

Tammy

Zebra Loach works the best for me... they stay small and are VERY efficient in cleaning up the snails.

or you can give them to me if you remove them. My fahaka needs snacks! :)

Would you like the snails that I have picked out? Let me know asap as they are in a jar for the time being.