help stock a 20g community

swimalong

Hi,

Looking for suggestions for my existing 20g tropical tank. there are currently 2 male cherry barbs and 2 zebra danios, plus 2 cory cats and an albino bn pleco.

Tank still seems bare (had guppies before but most were lost from a heater/temp problem),

so wondering what else might be compatible and happy in this small community tank?

TIA

Get a few female cherry barbs, a few more danios and a few more corys. They're all schooling fish and look and act a lot better in groups of 6 or more. Then, maybe get a dwarf cichlid or two as more of a centerpiece fish.

I have a few fish I decided to sell today might fill your tank for ya, these came out of my 20 gal tank, I also have some guppy fry as well.

Xiphophorus maculatus (platy)

- 1 black with white fins

-4 solid black fry

- 1 solid black sail fin male

- 1 black female (will have more babies the end of sept)

- 1 red wag tail females

- 1 red wag hi fine females

- 2 Galaxy Platy females

TANK

- plastic with attached lid

-gravel

-filter

-Snail or two

$40 for the package which includes a small tank, that has filter, gravel and air pump for filter..you cold keep the fry in this smaller tank till they are big enough to add to the 20 gal tank, these are all fish I currently have in my 20 gal tank...well I have a few others as well...

Definitely interested.... thanks... (PM'd)

I have a few fish I decided to sell today might fill your tank for ya, these came out of my 20 gal tank, I also have some guppy fry as well.

Xiphophorus maculatus (platy)

- 1 black with white fins

-4 solid black fry

- 1 solid black sail fin male

- 1 black female (will have more babies the end of sept)

- 1 red wag tail females

- 1 red wag hi fine females

- 2 Galaxy Platy females

TANK

- plastic with attached lid

-gravel

-filter

-Snail or two

$40 for the package which includes a small tank, that has filter, gravel and air pump for filter..you cold keep the fry in this smaller tank till they are big enough to add to the 20 gal tank, these are all fish I currently have in my 20 gal tank...well I have a few others as well...

I agree with jvision, up your groups you have existing to 6 or more (except the pleco). Schooling fish are best kept in schools and will be much happier if they are. Also it helps with them and conspecific aggression, so not only one or 2 are being picked on all the time. I would also suggest a small SA cichlid species, or you could possibly get some killifish :) Apistogrammas or some german blue rams would be a nice addition too.

I have to agree with everyone else regarding increasing the numbers of the fish you already have.

If you aren't interested in that...PM'd.

Well I did used to have higher numbers of these fish when they were first added to my tank (many months ago now). Not all of them survived although I dont think there was any particular problem in my tank. A lot of pet store fish are lacking in quality IMHO and so i am starting to try to avoid buying from any pet store. But as I don't know too many breeders of these small tropicals it doesn't leave much choice. I decided to go with some more danios (got 6) and a couple more corys and found some nice ones yesterday. Still considering adding in some others for variety and upping the schools but waiting to see how these go and of course not wanting to add too much at once.

Adding in a cichlid seems odd but I guess a lot of people do this with success.? Going to research all of this more...

I have to agree with everyone else regarding increasing the numbers of the fish you already have.

If you aren't interested in that...PM'd.

The problem is many people see cichlids as mean and aggressive fish, but really there are many that are not like that whatsoever. Yes they do tend to get slightly more aggressive while spawning, but at least most of them are very good parents and will protect their young until a certain age. There are quite a few species of cichlids you can house with peaceful community fish, those mainly being south american cichlids, with the odd central and african cichlid. You might even be able to keep an african cichlid like a kribensis in there, I have had my male for months in my community tank. The key to finding a cichlid you like and will be able to keep in your tank, is their max size and temperament. And also just try not to put fish in the tank that will be small enough to fit in their mouths, since most fish will eat smaller fish. Check out the profiles on this site and see if there are any you would like. And if you have any questions on any of them, feel free to ask below in the cichlid section and there are quite a few people who can help you.