Berlin

Fishful Thinking

Welcome home, Greg! Looks like you guys had some great weather. Very interesting bits of history in that part of the world, eh.

Welcome home, Greg! Looks like you guys had some great weather. Very interesting bits of history in that part of the world, eh.

Thanks, Jason! It was scorching when we were in Germany. We walked for 2 hours with backpacks on in 36 degree heat. We'll have to hang out one of these days and I can bore you and Jenn for hours with pictures! The history is amazing in Europe. I was bragging to one of Heather's cousin's that Alberta had celebrated its 100th anniversary a couple of years ago. He brought up the fact that his hometown, Amersfoort, will be celebrating its 750th anniversary soon. :wacko:

Great pictures!

At the Holocaust Memorial, what did each of the blocks represent?

There is some controversy about them. Some think that the blocks don't represent anything in particular. They say that the architect didn't use symbolism. He just wanted to make the experience with the different heights of the blocks at the different angles very jarring and disorienting. Some of the blocks were 10 feet tall and others were a couple of feet tall. Others feel that the fact that the perfect sameness of the grid is lost with the varying heights and angles is symbolic of how human logic and reason was lost during the Holocaust. I guess its up to the viewer to decide.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I will try to post some more pictures as I find them/find the time.

Edited by GregL