Paint/Oily film on Glass

punman

I took a 33 gallon tank out of the garage that had been in storage for a year and discovered a dry 2 inch square patch of shiny substance on the OUTSIDE of the glass on one pane. It is transparent but looks like oil in a rain puddle - rainbow effect.

I let a friend use the garage for car body repair and wonder if some coating spray hit the tank as it was in the vicinity.

I tried a pot scrubber with paint thinner - nothing.

Then I tried lacquer thinner - no better. Tried a razor blade too.

Any other solutions (no pun intended)? It is a cosmetic issue as it is on the exterior but I would like to remove it.

Edited by punman

I took a 33 gallon tank out of the garage that had been in storage for a year and discovered a dry 2 inch square patch of shiny substance on the OUTSIDE of the glass on one pane. It is transparent but looks like oil in a rain puddle - rainbow effect.

I let a friend use the garage for car body repair and wonder if some coating spray hit the tank as it was in the vicinity.

I tried a pot scrubber with paint thinner - nothing.

Then I tried lacquer thinner - no better. Tried a razor blade too.

Any other solutions (no pun intended)? It is a cosmetic issue as it is on the exterior but I would like to remove it.

You could try acetone or nail polish remover.

J