Will killifish eat shrimp?

firestorm

I have a small colony of lyretail killifish in a 5 gallon planted tank. I added 5 adult black bee shrimp (which were not cheap) to the aquarium almost 3 weeks ago now. I saw them up until maybe a week ago, and I haven't seen 1 since. These killifish only grow to 2", so they are full grown now. I wouldn't have thought the shrimp could fit in their mouths, but is it a possibility they got eaten by them?

When shrimp molt, they're pretty soft. They usually squish themselves into crevasses 'til their exoskeleton hardens; however, if they can't find shelter, then the killies will have no problem helping the shrimp squish into their mouths.

They should have been able to have good hiding though, the tank is well planted. Unless they were stupid enough to stay in the open while that process happened. I just found it strange how all the shrimp seemed to disappear in a week, yet they were fine for about 2 weeks. I feed them every day so I wouldn't think the killi's would be that hungry.

Yeah true. Problem is I didn't want to mix them with my crystal shrimp, and that was the only tank I could think of that seemed it might work well. At least it was only 5 of them, but still it is disappointing. Not to mention I put a couple black skirt tetras in with my 5 cherry shrimp, and they are gone as well :grr: At least my guppies have brains in their heads not to eat my shrimp.