Under Gravel Jets, Anyone?

Becky

yea they are good. you need a screen or something just to prevent things fron getting down there.

if you dont have filteraton down there all it does is blow the crap arround though. so I took mine out.

I was thinking of re seting it up if I get the 270 gallon. I would also have a bunch of reverse jets (sucking) with some mesh over it . but instead of hooking up the reverse jets to a powerhead I would hook them up to a skimmerless overflow, this would provide suction of about 300 gph/ per reverse jet head

yea they are good. you need a screen or something just to prevent things fron getting down there.

if you dont have filteraton down there all it does is blow the crap arround though. so I took mine out.

I was thinking of re seting it up if I get the 270 gallon. I would also have a bunch of reverse jets (sucking) with some mesh over it . but instead of hooking up the reverse jets to a powerhead I would hook them up to a skimmerless overflow, this would provide suction of about 300 gph/ per reverse jet head

Seems there's some confusion between Under Gravel Jets(UGJ) and Under Gravel Filter (UGF).

From my understanding, UGJ are intended to be used with an overflow/sump. Purpose being to keep detrius from settling on the sand or gravel. Screens are not necessary as the flow is coming OUT, not going IN.

For UGF, it's a very different setup. UGF with sand is not recommended, and most people that have tried them have ended up taking them out, as they're much more trouble than they seem to be worth for their limited filtration ability.

My 2 cents.

ah but what I was talking about is totaly different.

you have the ugj as the return feed from your sump corect? well all that does is blow around the crap. you need some other sort of filteration down there to suck it up. the solution is reverse under gravel jets. you interconnect all of these and in stead of having it as a return for your sump you siphon the water to your sump.

using this as your siphon system.

in that it calls for a pipe to go down just like an aqua clear filter. well I took that one step further. you bring it down to the bottom and connect it with a series of tubes. that surface in different areas. these becuase they are sucking are reverse ugj's

post-29-1110390007

you have the ugj as the return feed from your sump corect?

Actually, no. If you read the article, the UGJ system is powered independantly, and is self contained. Usually powered by a powerhead. It's primary purpose is to keep the detrius suspended to allow it to get to the overflow and into the filtration system. That, combined with the flow from the pump return, gives enough current and circulation in the show tank to keep the sand clean, and move the detrius to the overflow.

Not saying yours won't work, just that it might be a bit complex for the need.

I'm a simple guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, anyone into trying the idea? I was hoping that someone else would give it a go, before my attempt fails miserably. Have been reading on Cichlid-Forum of some failed attempts, mostly due to lack of pump pressure. The pump I have is 2000gal/hour. Does anyone think that would be enough flow for 6 1/2" jets? I guess I could add another pump to the system, but would have to make mods. to the overflow to increase gal, or just increase the water top-off height, but then I would have to go with a bigger sump incase of power failure, etc. no?

Any suggestions?

im using the ugj system... i used a underwater pond pump versa gold series

i think its about 250 gph

i set it up with 3 outlets under the sandugj.jpg

i put on a pipe with multiple holes then wraped it with aquarium filter from big als

ugj%20filter.jpg

it might not look too pretty to some ..however i put this in to make sure i had as clean a tank as posible for the fish

if you look close at the second pic you can see how much it really filters

i also use an ac500 filter with both the water is crystal clear and the bottom stays cleaner

(not to mention the waterslide my fish seem to love)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after several thoughts on the idea, I think I will skip on the thought for our big tank. Seems like there are a few too many issues to be concerned with, for us. (I was hoping to make mods. to the idea. Using flexible hose, perforated, instead of jets sticking up out of the substrate)

a few of the concerns-I can't find a substrate that I would like to use, that won't compact to reduce the flow.

As well, if we decide to try the planted idea, (which is almost certain) I don't know what that would do to the plants.

So, we are going to keep it simpler, and just have one return back from the sump, low on the tank. Am thinking of having the tank drilled in the over flow, and out to the tank @ the bottom instead. Add a couple power heads, and more catfish to keep clean.

after all of the recent problems and dilemmas with our set-ups, I don't want to add any more if I can help it.