Lighting question.

DaveDude77

My conclusion about lumens (from readings etc) is don't bother thinking about them. As for Kelvin, its slightly more important and i would say recommend exactly what puhbah said.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have priced out the T5HO fixtures at pisces and Gold's, the difference in price was about $20 less at golds for the 24" fixture I was looking at. Riverfront can be even more expensive for some things, so it pays to shop around for that type of stuff. But like I said from my own pricing Golds has been the cheapest for most equipment.

If you can get the shop fixtures for free from work, go ahead and take them. You can always add additional fixtures if you have to, but it will save you money. As far as I saw, I was only able to find plant grow bulbs for the 48" fluorescent bulbs from the hardware store.

My 135 has 6 40W bubls on it, that's not even 2 WPG... and I'm bringing 18 full bags of plants to the auction from this tank. :)

Oh boy, you got me all excited about that website Poohbah, but when I looked up the 6' fixture, they don't ship that item to Canada. Dam it!! I can't win. :wacko: Thanks for the link though Poohbah, that's exactly what I was looking for. $250US I could handle. If anyone knows of other deals like ths one that'll ship to Canada, let me know. Please. I guess knowing tank dimentions would help. It's 72"L X 19.5"W X 20.25"D

Thanks again everyone for the answers, tips, comparisons, and help. As I've said before, you people are the best. :thumbs:

THANKS Poohbah. That's the one I'm looking at now. The one with 5x 39W T5s in it. 2.6WPG for $390, I'd say that's an awesome price. And T5's are cheaper to get around town then MH. Thanks again, Poohbah.

I may be sounding like a broken record (or CD to you young folk :) ), but you people are the best here. :thumbs:

THANKS Poohbah. That's the one I'm looking at now. The one with 5x 39W T5s in it. 2.6WPG for $390...

5 x 39 watts = 195 watts / $390 = $2 a watt

Coralife 48" FRESHWATER AquaLight Fixture - 4 x 65W

4 x 65watts = 260 watts / $260 = $1 a watt

The coralife light comes with plant bulbs as well (6700K).

T5HO > PC.

Also, he meant 8 x 39W so that's $1.25/Watt. Plus he has a 6' tank and the Coralife is only 4' long.

Edited by thegrandpoohbah

T5HO > PC.

Also, he meant 8 x 39W so that's $1.25/Watt. Plus he has a 6' tank and the Coralife is only 4' long.

I forgot about that 6 foot detail :) I also noticed that the 6 foot fixtures use the same bulbs as the 4 foot fixture as they are both 39 watt bulbs. Do they space out the lights or just stick the 4 foot bulbs in the center leaving the ends darker?

Edited by byte

Good catch on that one Poohbah. I do need a 6' fixture. Thanks anyway Byte.

What I've noticed about the 6' fixtures is that although they use 39W tubes, or what ever, they tend to use two 3' tubes end to end instead of the 4' tubes. I haven't seen any with missing space on either end. But that's only what I've seen, who knows what's out there.

Thanks again for the leads. Keep them coming. I have to wait until after X-Mas anyway so I 've got time to find the best deal.

I forgot about that 6 foot detail :) I also noticed that the 6 foot fixtures use the same bulbs as the 4 foot fixture as they are both 39 watt bulbs. Do they space out the lights or just stick the 4 foot bulbs in the center leaving the ends darker?

Like DaveDude said, they use 3' bulbs placed end to end. 4' T5HO bulbs are 54W.

.... I can't wait until Boom does the lighting on his project. I want to see how he's building it and what he's using.

Thanks Dave. I plan on using T5 or T5HO lights. Likely two 3 or 4 foot strips with a few bulbs in each. I'll also have a third strip with blue lights for moonlighting. I'll be building the canopy myself and will post that as I go.

I still havn't decided EXCTLY which lights to go with. I'll probably ask for suggestions on my post when I come to that point.

Boom :boom:

I picked up a 6ft light fixture at aquagiant for my 140gal, It has 8- 60"- 59 watt T-5s for a total of 472 watts.

For a 140gal thats 3.37 watts per gal. Preferred customer price was $300.00 incl. tax. Can use the bulbs that come with it or change them out with red or actinic. 4 seperate switches each one operating 2 bulbs. I also only have 3X54w T-5 on my 72gal, Thats only 2.25w per gal. Co2, over plant, over stock, over filter, W/C once a week, and leave it alone and I just cleared out a large jungle this past weekend.