DIY Aquarium Stand

dereks

I decided to make a stand for my new 30 Gallon tall (24" x 12" footprint). Some requirements:

1. Low enough so my 2 year old daughter can watch the fish.
  2. Inexpensive
  3. Stained wood (I've always liked the look of maple, never really liked oak)
  4. False front for easy access to the canister filter and other storage.

I came up with a quick plan and a list of materials (costs are approx as I threw out the receipts):

• 5 2x4 studs @ 1.56 each = $7.80 (this is for a 24" x 12" footprint)
  • Box of 2.5" screws = $9.00
  • 2' x 4' x 1/4" maple plywood for sides = $10.00
  • 1/2" maple plywood for top and front = $40.00
  • Maple moulding/trim = $10.00
  • Stain = $5.00

Tools needed:

• Mitre Saw
  • Drill
  • Air compressor/brad nailer
  • Wood glue
  • Square
  • Level
  • Sandpaper

Here's a drawing of the final stand plan. Corners of stands are actually a combo of 3 2x4 pieces. Longest span without direct support from underneath is 14.75 inches.

plan.jpg

First, you'll need to cut out the 2x4's:

• Bottom: (2) 21.75" & (2) 13"
  • Top: (2) 13" & (2) 24.75" cut at 45 degree angles
  • Corners: (8) 19" & (4) 22.5"

Assemble according to plan. Bottom 2x4's are placed on their sides. Two of the corner 2x4's are placed directly on top of the bottom rails while one rests on the floor on the inside of the corner. Be sure to screw all 3 corner pieces to the top, bottom and othe rcorner pieces. This will make the stand very rigid.

img_5033.jpg

Cut out the 1/4" maple plywood into 2 - 24" x 13" pieces and attach with wood glue and brad nails to the sides of the stand.

img_5036.jpg

Cut out a 25.25" x 13.625" sheet from the 1/2" plywood for the top (you'll need it to hang over the top slightly for the false front). Attach with wood glue and brad nails.

img_5037.jpg

Cut out a 25.25" x 23.75" sheet for the false front. Add moulding around the top of stand. Add moulding around bottom of stand but do not attach the bottom side mouldings to the bottom front mouldings (this will allow the false front to come out). Add trim to the sides of the false front and to the back vertical portion of the stand.

img_5038.jpgimg_5041.jpg

img_5039.jpgimg_5040.jpg

Sand any imperfections and stain desired colour. Add aquarium.

img_5042.jpgimg_5043.jpg

Nice stand and perfect timing too. I'm looking into doing a DIY stand for my 32G tank as well. Mine's 36" long but the concept is the same. I really like your idea of the false front. So, don't go too far dereks, I may have some questions for you when I get started and as I plow along. I know nothing about building with wood.

Thanks for all the comments. Wouldn't take much more to chang the size of it either. Just a matter of adding support between the corners as the length gets longer. Also, cost wouldn't go up significantly either, as I only used half of the 1/2" plywood sheet.

Thanks for all the comments. Wouldn't take much more to chang the size of it either. Just a matter of adding support between the corners as the length gets longer. Also, cost wouldn't go up significantly either, as I only used half of the 1/2" plywood sheet.

It is an awesome looking stand. I do have a couple of questions...

What holds the false front in place.

If you inverted the stand, using the current bottom as the top, do you think you can make it wider (say for a 4ft tank) without adding supports.

Thanks!

It is an awesome looking stand. I do have a couple of questions...

What holds the false front in place.

If you inverted the stand, using the current bottom as the top, do you think you can make it wider (say for a 4ft tank) without adding supports.

Thanks!

The top of the front slips behind the top moulding. I was originally going to embed a couple rare earth magnets into the 2x4's on each side on the bottom with metal brackets attached to the false front. Once I tried it out though I found I had built it just right so the mouldings on the sides of the front holds it with just friction - just luck I guess - works great!

Not too sure how long of a span you can go with a 2x4 on it's side...would have to do some calculations re: your full fish tank weight.

There is no easy answer to how much weight you can put on how long of a span of a 2x4 on edge. It depends on many factors including the structural makeup of the board itself, (how many knots in it, how tight are the growth rings, how dry is the wood, etc etc.) One 4' 2x4 will bend by me standing on it, while the next could hold a truck.

But I can say this, 4 2x4's assembled like the bottom part of dereks stand can easily hold ANY 4 foot tank, IF well supported at the corners, AND covered with plywood and well screwed to it, with NO supports in between the corners. The plywood adds rigidity to the frame structure and there would be no need for supports in between. In fact I kinda wondered why dereks placed his top 2x4's with the face up? They are far stronger and would have needed less beefy corners if he had done it that way.

Not a slam or slight at all dereks, just wondering out loud and trying to help out mikey mike with his question. :thumbs:

Also just wondered why no bottom on the stand for the filter to sit on? You said you had extra plywood. That laminate floor is VERY prone to water damage and any water on it when you service that Rena will cause you problems. Just my 2 cents. Again pls don't take any offence to my comments as none is intended. :beer:

Edited by Boom

Not too sure how long of a span you can go with a 2x4 on it's side

Be it right or wrong...

Generally it is believed that 2x4 can be used over 4' without middle bracing; 2x6 over a 6' span; etc.

By the way, excellent workmanship. That is a really nice looking stand! Simple and clean.....very appealing. :thumbs:

Edited by Doc_Polit