how to work a sponge filter?

vantgE

Yeah sounds like a dumb question but the one I bought from mbuna ron(thankee), is different than anything else iv'e seen it has a one inchish diameter tube with two suction cups, the this turns 90 degree angleish, into a tube with holes and a sponge fits over top. I wonder if maybe this might be more for the return of a power filter but anyway i figure i'll make it work, what i did was stick three airhoses from one hagen 800 and one hagen 802, into the shaft point it slightly upwards and to the side of the glass tank where the bubles coem out the sponge.

But i'd like o check this design with someone possibly more knowledgeable i have never used a sponge filter although what i view to be similar a ugf, problem i see is

Not enough water comeing through the tube thus no watter current through the sponge(I stuffed as many air hoses in as possible)

Next the sponge isn't on the bottom, (don't know if this matters)

Next there is no airstone so the bubbles are split mostly by the sponge and may not be spreading as well as should

Anyone familiar with this type of sponge filter maybe halp me out on proper setup?

Anyone doen diy sponge filter help me ensure this'll work?

Thankyou

Edited by vantgE

Sounds as if you could be missing a part/parts. From what I'm hearing it may be a Tetra Brilli style filter (the kind I personally prefer b/c it doesn't rest on the bottom). There should be a small 'nipple' that you attach the airline tubing to, and there is no need for an airstone. It might help if you try looking up sponge filters to find out just what type you have, I imagine it would easier then b/c someone will probably have used them before.

Good luck!

Yes, there should be a nipple near the bottom of the up-tube to attach the airhose to...or, if there is just a small hole down there, it may need a rigid tube to aatch to it, first. I have several of these filters, and they work great.

Hi .. you should have given me a call. This is a preferred type of sponge filter. I have three of them. You connect a flexible airline tubing to the tube on the side of the filter. This creates a suction such that the water passes through the sponge and bubbles up through the top. A simple process. The sponge that I gave you has a large area and will attract beneficial bacteria for your tank. The swivel on it is great as you can strategically place it in the corner of the aquarium. I have never found a sponge filter that is better than this. The only possible problem that could arise is if you have a weak pump with a diaphram that needs replacing. Hope this helps!

Thanks rons, it was no big deal i was pretty sure it was working and expected you to find this, so I'll just move the air to the small tube and aim it upwards with the sponge out from the wall in a upside down L shape, and the sponge is huge so that's great

Edited by vantgE

• 1 month later...