Plants for a discus tank

firestorm

So I wanted advice on plants for my discus tank. Soon I will be buying the seachem fluorite black sand for a substrate, and I want to heavily plant the tank. The tank is a 90 gallon with a T5HO double 54 watt light fixture, so less than 2 watts per gallon, but I can always substitute with an added fixture for extra wattage. The tank is deeper than it is long for a 90 gallon tank. The temperature is normally set at 86 degrees, sometimes 88 if the discus are stressed.

I have had not much luck with most plants thriving and some not surviving in the higher temperatures. So my question would be, what types of plants can I use that can withstand the higher heat, are medium light plants, and ones that grow tall for background, and some that grow small for a foreground plant? Any suggestions would be great :smokey:

Most plants like it cooler, but I've seen many sword plants grow in Discus tanks, and there are enough different kinds that you can mix them to get the desired leveling effect you're looking for (Bleheri, Osiris, or Ozelot for the back; mellon for mid-ground; pygmy chain for the foreground).

I run my tank at 82 degrees for my rams...

I have Osiris swords, pygmy chain, red tiger lotus, java fern, vals, and another stem plant...

They all grow like weeds now that I am running CO2 and EI. I have had problems with several plants that didn't like the higher temperature for sure...

Thanks Nick for the link, I didn't see that one. I normally go to myplantedtanks or plant geeks for plant info. I already have some of those plants in other tanks, so I will try and take trimmings of them as well. Although a tank with all swords would look kinda cool as well.

Your rams must be loving that tank there dryrock :) I know I would if I were them.