filter sytem

shanejade

If I were you, get another one or two Aquaclear 500/110. These one of the most economical, effecient, and easy to use filters for freshwater application. I don't believe cannisters and W/D fall in the same category, atleast in my personal experience. I currently run 3 AC 110 on my 125g and I am very happy with them, would not change it for anything else even if it was free.

Edited by felixc

If I were you, get another one or two Aquaclear 500/110. These one of the most economical, efficient, and easy to use filters for freshwater application. I don't believe cannisters and W/D fall in the same category, at least in my personal experience. I currently run 3 AC 110 on my 125g and I am very happy with them, would not change it for anything else even if it was free.

Strange, I use canisters filters and find them way less maintenance than the AC filters. In my hard water, the AC motors seem to get gummed up and need cleaning monthly or the motor will stop even though the media is not that dirty. Yet the canister filter in the same tank can go 3 months between opening up. I also find I can get water clearer with polish pads in my canister filter than with a HOB.

An AC110 or 500 is rated for 110 gallon tank. Depending on fish load you may want to add another filter.

If I were you, get another one or two Aquaclear 500/110. These one of the most economical, effecient, and easy to use filters for freshwater application. I don't believe cannisters and W/D fall in the same category, atleast in my personal experience. I currently run 3 AC 110 on my 125g and I am very happy with them, would not change it for anything else even if it was free.
thiers nothing economical or efficient about running three filters when one will do. thats three times the power, maintenance and problems/hassle. you are right about canisters and w/d's not being in the same catagory, one is WAY better than the other, but BOTH are better than hob's (imo)

shane - what's the footprint of your 110? If it's under 6 ft adding another AC 110 should do the trick, and won't cost you an arm & a leg.

thiers nothing economical or efficient about running three filters when one will do. thats three times the power, maintenance and problems/hassle.

An AC 110 consumes 14 watts of power, which in the overall grand scheme of things doesn't cost very much (as far as this hobby goes), even if you have three running on one tank. Considering the cost of an AC 110, vs one of the large canisters (such as an FX5) it actually IS an economical option, with the added bonus of adding redundancy to what IMO is the most important part of ones entire system. If a tank with a single filter shuts down, even for a single day (while one is away from home) in a well stocked tank it can mean a tank full of dead fish. (from lack of 02 exchange)

With more than one filter running, chances are that your fish will be fine until you rectify the situation. Also, on a larger, longer tank, having more than one filter also means more even filtration & current (sans adding a powerhead) which I personally find ideal for the fish that I keep.

I currently run 3 AC 110 on my 125g and I am very happy with them, would not change it for anything else even if it was free.

ditto, that is exactly how both of my 125's are filtered. No problems, no hassles, with about the only thing that can go wrong is an impeller shaft or impeller that gets worn & needs to be swapped out. Depending on how heavily your tank is stocked, an AC 110 can go 1-3+ months between cleaning.

If you like the idea of a w/d system, werner's link will help get you started.

Ultimately how one filters their tank boils down to personal preference, but seeing as you already have an AC 110, adding another 110 would be the most cost effective option.

HTH

Edited by RD.