resealing a tank

Vallisneria

Well i got a free 25g tank tonight, unfortunately they must have kept hamsters in there or something as the inside silicone is a bit chewed up. It looks like it will need to be resealed.

Can another give me a good site that explains how to do this step my step. I doesn't look like the silicone inbetween the glass is damaged just a bit in the inside corners. So would i only have to remove the inside silicone bead and then add a new one?

Any tips from people that have doen this before?

Doing this on a 55gal

All you do is take a good i mean GOOD razor blade to strip the silicone, take your time and make sure you get it all

Silicone will not stick to silicone, so you have to clean it well

then just get some aqua safe silicone and remember a little bead will do ya, you dont want to gob it on

Mark

Get a bunch of razor blades.

1- Scrape the majority of the silicone off with one.

2- Then use as many as it takes to completely scrape all the residue off of the glass.

3- Wipe all the corners with alcohol, or vinigar might work as well.

4- Squeeze a steady stream of silicone around all the corners to be sealed.

5- Slide your finger along the silicone making it nice and smooth.

*I suggest trying this on a peice of scrap first, to get a nice constant stream*

Thanks J

I found this good site that explains all the steps and has pics http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_...cle.php?aid=107

It doesn't look too hard. Just looks like it might take a while to get everything cleaned out and ready for new silicone.

One thing i'm worried about is that since its still cold and wet outside i'd have to do this indoors. I"ve heard that the silicone gives off lots of odors. Will doing this in my basement be bad? It doesnt' really have any windows that could be opened(except one across the room). Would adding a fan be sufficient? I really dont' want to wait untill summer so i can do this outside

Couple of tips if I may...

When "tooling" the silicone (smearing, blending it with your finger) Don't push too hard. Very light pressure is best. This will make the joints look better, and not so messy. As well, wet your finger with a bit of water before tooling the bead. Once that bead is done, clean off any on your finger with a dry rag, and then wet again.

Water will help alot, the bead won't pull and stick to your finger so bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about the smell, just open a window, and maybe a fan if needed.

If you lived closer, I could put the silicone on for you. Just try it on a few practice pieces-don't need to be glass. Just any inside corner of something would do!

Rob