A tragic death of a mother and babies

firestorm

I am really upset right now. I came home from work to find that the holding tank containing my female fryeri and her babies she had been holding all dead. The heater must have gone faulty and over heated the tank, killing them all :( She was my only female that seemed to ever breed, and was a very good mother. She held the babies for over 30 days until I decided it was enough and took her out of the main tank, to let her spit.

Yeah the water was really warm. Probably over 90. I had cycled the tank and everything, had put the heater in the day before to make sure the temp was right for them. It hadn't over heated the night before. I counted all the babies floating, there were 21 of them, and they were big babies at that.

I do have one more female, but she has never given me any fry. I might have to look out for another female, or grow out the juvies from her last batch and keep a couple of them. The male is a different male than what fathered the babies, so at least they won't be breeding with their father. It is so sad to see them all go like that though. Had I known I would have just left her to spit in the tank eventually, but she was looking so skinny from carrying them for so long. I wanted to allow her to feel comfortable to spit and let her get some rest and eat.

• 4 weeks later...