Water conditoner / ammonia

Edmonton uses Chloromine compounds in it's treatment process, which will require the use of some kind of agent to bind the chlorine in the water. (Some other communities still use simple chlorine which dissipates after ~24 hours of airation).

Chloromine is a combination of ammonia and chlorine, so what Prime does is break the two apart, then binds with them, individually. Once it has bound it's done it's job. So simply... dose the original tank with a proper amount of prime, and let it do it's work on the chlorine and ammonia. Once that original chlorine and ammonia are dealt with (within minutes with proper circulation) then any additional ammonia you place in the tank will NOT be bound by the Prime as it's chemical process will have been used up. It is possible due to the various amounts and concentrations of ammonia and chlorine in the original water that the does of Prime may not be used up the first day, but I assure you that after your first 'cycle dose' of pure ammonia to the water, the remainder will be used and you'll be on your way.

Do not add any more Prime unless you do a water change, and I don't believe that is done until the cycle is complete, correct? I have to admit it's been a long time since I looked at the process, exactly.

Edmonton uses Chloromine compounds in it's treatment process, which will require the use of some kind of agent to bind the chlorine in the water. (Some other communities still use simple chlorine which dissipates after ~24 hours of airation).

Chloromine is a combination of ammonia and chlorine, so what Prime does is break the two apart, then binds with them, individually. Once it has bound it's done it's job. So simply... dose the original tank with a proper amount of prime, and let it do it's work on the chlorine and ammonia. Once that original chlorine and ammonia are dealt with (within minutes with proper circulation) then any additional ammonia you place in the tank will NOT be bound by the Prime as it's chemical process will have been used up. It is possible due to the various amounts and concentrations of ammonia and chlorine in the original water that the does of Prime may not be used up the first day, but I assure you that after your first 'cycle dose' of pure ammonia to the water, the remainder will be used and you'll be on your way.

Do not add any more Prime unless you do a water change, and I don't believe that is done until the cycle is complete, correct? I have to admit it's been a long time since I looked at the process, exactly.

This sounds right.

You will be adding so much additional ammonia the prime will no longer effect it. You can test this with your daily monitoring of ammonia levels.

I just started a 20 gal. tank by taking a little filter material and other good stuff from other tanks and putting it in the new filter. It was ready in 3 day's. Going to a larger tank, this method will speed things up considerably.

John

Edited by geleen

Thank You for taking the time to explain that fully.... makes sence!

This sounds right.

You will be adding so much additional ammonia the prime will no longer effect it. You can test this with your daily monitoring of ammonia levels.

I just started a 20 gal. tank by taking a little filter material and other good stuff from other tanks and putting it in the new filter. It was ready in 3 day's. Going to a larger tank, this method will speed things up considerably.

John

Yep good point John.... I am going to try and jump start it at the same time with some media from another tank..

Thanks

It was my understanding that prime changes(binds) the ammonia so that the bacteria can still remove it but it won't hurt the fish. Am I mistaken?? If not then there is no reason to worry about how much prime you do use and with the right dose of prime for every bit of added ammonia you could conceivably safely add fish before the cycle is complete because Prime does the same thing to nitrItes and Ates. Hmmm FIshless cycle with fish anyone??? cost money but it must be faster than useing cycle or any other product by itself. you would really only need to monitor the levils and dose prime for the added ammonia and some for the extra the fish make. Okay my brainwave has lost power but i hope this idea has merit.

Good Luck

L

It was my understanding that prime changes(binds) the ammonia so that the bacteria can still remove it but it won't hurt the fish. Am I mistaken?? If not then there is no reason to worry about how much prime you do use and with the right dose of prime for every bit of added ammonia you could conceivably safely add fish before the cycle is complete because Prime does the same thing to nitrItes and Ates. Hmmm FIshless cycle with fish anyone??? cost money but it must be faster than useing cycle or any other product by itself. you would really only need to monitor the levils and dose prime for the added ammonia and some for the extra the fish make. Okay my brainwave has lost power but i hope this idea has merit.

Good Luck

L

In a fishless cycle you want ammonia present to build up the colony of bacteria... ( prime hinders this process ) thus yes prime binds the ammonia and converts it to ammonium if I remember correctly. So in a normal cycled tank you are correct... However this is in a new tank that needs to be cycled...