how to breed shrimp, suggestions?

fleshgear

i have about 5 cherry shrimp and 5 malaysian shrimp and i was wondering what an ideal setup would be for breading, is there anything you can do to trigger them to breed? and what is the best food to feed shrimp

i have about 5 cherry shrimp and 5 malaysian shrimp and i was wondering what an ideal setup would be for breading, is there anything you can do to trigger them to breed? and what is the best food to feed shrimp

Not exactly sure what a malaysian shrimp is. Any more details on them? Are they sometimes also called Rainbow shrimp? Are they these guys http://www.planetinverts.com/malaya_shrimp.html

I can comment on breeding the cherry shrimp though. Cherry shrimp are very easy to breed. All you need is males, females and clean water. I breed my cherries in a 10g barebottom with a AC mini filter. I stick a sponge over the intake so I dont' suck up the babies. I use regular Edmonton tap water, temp is about 76*. I have a lot of java moss and Naja grass in the tank to provide cover for the babies and somewhere for them to find food.

I feed the adults and larger babies NLS waffers and pellets. I also throw in a slice of zuchini once a week.

Have fun with your shrimp :) I love mine.

no they are not mayla shrimp, those look kinda ugly. i think they are the rainbow shrimp. about how long does it take for them to breed? and once i see the eggs how long does it take before i would see baby shrimp? When i first got them one of the cherry shrimp had eggs that it was carrying. but i did not see any babies come from it. they were in with about 8 pingu guppies. but i have since moved them into a tank with a variety of fry once the fry get about 3/4 inch i remove them. i am not sure if the fry would eat the babies or not . the tank is moderately planted

Thanks

You'll probably still get a few baby shrimp surviving if they can find cover, but your fry will eat them if they can fit in thier mouths. It takes about a month before you start seeing tiny shrimp. Just make sure you have males and females - males are more clear than red, and the females are bright red.