Can I just add water?

nathan

I had some guys doing my flooring early this week and I got a call from them saying I had to get home right away as they broke my 10 gallon tank. I got home and was able to get the fish and most of the fry out before the tank blew apart. Unfortunately, the only tank I had to put them in was my 33 gallon that was empty. There's enough water for them to swim around in but there is still about 2/3rd's of the tank empty. If I put some chemicals in to remove the crap from our tap water, can I just add more directly in? Should I fill it at once or do it gradually over a few days (say 1/3 and 1/3). I don't want to lose my fry.

If you have a cycled filter large enough for your 33, you shoulde be able to add the water. I would use some water conditioner and some Seachem Stability.

If your filter isn't big enough or cycled, you might have some issues.

You can take water from a larger tank. Or if you have to get a new filter you can you some of the media out of a cycled filter.

Derek

Actually, all you need is a cycled filter large enough to support your current bioload. So, your filter from the 10 gal should be sufficient, if you haven't let it dry out or sit stagnant for any amount of time.

Edited by jvision

The filter that was on the 33 was unplugged about 4 days ago. Would it be ok to just start running that again or has it been too long? The filter for the 10 gallon has been unplugged for 2 days now. I'm not so much concerned about the fry as I am momma and poppa.

The filter that was on the 33 was unplugged about 4 days ago. Would it be ok to just start running that again or has it been too long? The filter for the 10 gallon has been unplugged for 2 days now. I'm not so much concerned about the fry as I am momma and poppa.

All the bacteria is likely toast and you wil have to cycle the tank again.

I would pick up some seachem stability and use as directed. If you can get some cycled filter material from someone you can add that as well.

John

All the bacteria is likely toast and you wil have to cycle the tank again.

I would pick up some seachem stability and use as directed. If you can get some cycled filter material from someone you can add that as well.

John

I took my chances and just tossed some water in with the chemicals to remove the chlorine. I realized that the tank was just under half full and figured it would be no different than doing a water change. All seems well so far.