importing fish from US, share your experience

felixc

Does anyone have experience with importing fish from the US? What are the costs and what permits are required if any?

All I want to bring in is a couple boxes of wild caught african cichlids. What do I need to know or do once the fish arrives here?

Does anyone have experience with importing fish from the US? What are the costs and what permits are required if any?

All I want to bring in is a couple boxes of wild caught african cichlids. What do I need to know or do once the fish arrives here?

Have imported fish from the states several times. If you're buying from a dealer, they will be able to supply all the paperwork you need. Having said that, I doubt I would ever get my fish shipped into Canada again. I lost a box of bettas owing to delays in delivery, customs etc. and I was pretty upset. If you can get to the US and get them shipped to your hotel, it seems to work well for me(so far). I had some BN that were shipped to me in the US, 2 days delivery and 16 dollars shipping. It would be 100 dollars to ship them here and I doubt it would be 2 days and my losses would've been more. My bettas took 9 days to get here and a week to make it into Canada. (No wonder they died!!) Have flown and driven across the border with fish and had no problems except that Air Canada doesn't take fish(United does, found that out the hard way). I bring a pump and supplies for re-bagging at the hotel to help out my little finned buddies. Hope this helps you out!!!

Edited by jvision

I have never had a problem. only minor delays. whomever is importing needs to know their stuff. have your tracking number, call the shipper often, keep in touch with the postal service. I've done all this while importing fish. I've never had a problem in the 11 orders I've done over the last year. the only problem i have come across is weight issues. try not to stuff the boxes too full. also, you need to keep in mind shipping on 2 nice sized boxes is in the $400+ range.

It is not us with the issue it is them. They need to get all the F&W documents prior to exporting. All we have to do is pay GST at customs.

Really, if the shipper does his end of the work all we do is pick up the fish and pay gst? No more no less?

It is not us with the issue it is them. They need to get all the F&W documents prior to exporting. All we have to do is pay GST at customs.

Really, if the shipper does his end of the work all we do is pick up the fish and pay gst? No more no less?

Yes, but you still have to take the fish through customs unless you let a brooker do it, and they will charge you additional fees. If you import using a business name then you need a license, otherwise there should be no problem. Just check up with customs in regards to importing WC fish, it's not the same as tank raised. Also, the shipper may charge you for US Fish & Wildlife fees. See link below.

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showN...A3A8434A509D59D

Edited by patrick

Another thought for you to keep costs down; see if you can find anyone else who wants fish from the same supplier. Helps with the shipping cost and you have a new contact.

Yes, but you still have to take the fish through customs unless you let a brooker do it, and they will charge you additional fees. If you import using a business name then you need a license, otherwise there should be no problem. Just check up with customs in regards to importing WC fish, it's not the same as tank raised. Also, the shipper may charge you for US Fish & Wildlife fees. See link below.

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showN...A3A8434A509D59D

You don't need a license; just call up Revenue Canada and get a business number for an importing company. It takes all of 10 minutes and you are all set to import. Trust me on that one! :)

So with wild caught fish you need fish and wildlife paper work and tank raised you don't?

Maybe better off to get the sender to send it as "tank raised", safe all the hassle.

Please clarify as I am now confused from the different responses. All I want is to do a one time purchase from a US importer.

He has wild caught fish that I want to buy, he will have all necessary paper work done on his end. He will ship it via Fedex or Airline (haven't decided).

If by fedex, then it arrives at my door without me doing anything but sign and pay gst/brokerage. If by Airline, then I have to pick up fish and claim them through customs myself. This is where I am unsure. What do I do after picking up the fish and why do I need a lisense? Please be clear if you have actual experience going through customs.

Is a company lisence absolutely necessary to import some fish for personal use?

Edited by felixc

If you are importing commercially, and will be selling these fish for profit, then you need a business number through Revenue Canada. This business number is available by calling up Revenue Canada.

If these fish are for personal use (which it sounds like), then you do not need a business number.

It has nothing to do with whether your fish are farm bred or wild caught; so long as they are not CITES 1 you do not nee any special paperwork on your end.

Just make sure the company you are dealing with in the USA knows what they are doing (regarding the paperwork on their end) and you should be fine.

I am a serious hobbyist who has overseen almost 20 imports of fish and aquarium plants from Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, Denmark and the USA.

Edited by stratos