Help with sand in my Tank

aquanaut

Hey All

I am starting up a 90gl tank with Malawi cichlids. I would like to use sand for a substrate but I have heard some bad things about using it. Like waste gets trapped under the sand and starts to rot creating a hazard for water chemistry. Is it a good idea to use sand? How would you clean it? Since the normal gravel sieve would not stop the sand.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've heard of a number of people using an old pillowcase with great results for cleaning sand. I use it in almost all my tanks, and am in the process of switching over the ones that don't have sand. From the research I've done on it, there've been people who've had bad experiences with play sand, and once they switched over to pool filter sand everything turned out good. I think the play sand is often lighter and/or packs easier, creating the problems. I personally find much more natural, as well as more beneficial to my fish (they're able to go through it as they would in the wild). Good luck with it!

The best source for sand is a Sandblasting Supply House. They will sell you a bag of silica sand (inert) for 7.00 dollars/ 80 lb bag.

I use this all the time in Planted tanks, cory breeding and fry tanks, and in my one and only African tank. Never have I had a problem. I personally dont even wash a new bag. (not recommending that practise) it is what I do...only.

Garhan

aquanaut, use sand as it is the natural biotype for africans... i got my sand free courtacy of gull lake! if you look in thread ,>how many africans to add> afew pix at bottom will show color of sand.. i sifted it and boiled before adding. i also purshased moon rock from ornamental landscape; 28 areo road ne calgary .85 a pound. i got 65 pounds in a 55gallon.i just clean mine with a python :shock: hope this helps.....

Keep in mind that there are also numerous grades of pool filter sand, & sand blasting sand. The larger in grain size that it is, the faster it settles, and the less it compacts. I've had great succes with Target PFS, very natural loking, clean, and it settles faster than much larger grained sized aragonite.

Hey thanks for the great help.

Someone resently told me that there is a problem with sand getting at the impeller in the filter and wearing them down quickly. But it sounds like quite alot of people are using sand. I will have to try it out myself and let you know how I make out.