in need of pro help! stocking options..?!

MrsFard

Hi 'all! I had nine goldfish in a 29 gallon tank and have come to find that I am pro at fostering monster critters. So, with that said, my dad is populating a dormant 90+ tank with my beautiful babies. :( I will miss them but am now onto new ventures (...and they're only 15 minutes away and I know he'll take care of them...he's blessed with a love for fishies too:), anyway, I want a PREMO planted-community tank. and i am a novice when it comes to tropical fish but I have read (and observed) alot about them in the past...and I mean alot..... the smaller the fish the better... the more the marrier.... i don't want it over crowded but i doo want it too look really interesting. I want to aquascap it... I've spent countless hours on google in the past couple days 'scoping'. so 3-4 schools but i want it strategic... all levels of swimmers and bold... I like goldfish for their personalities, colors and elegant dispisition... :thumbs: I want to love this tank just as much or more.. I'm actually kinda nervous about that :rolleyes: all wisdom welcome!

I already have 1 whiptail catfish (hes awesome)

the fish/critters I like are (at least of those that I have come across):

zebra apple snails (or any of that size-range)

shrimp...namingly the cherry ones... but, would setter for bamboo

cherry barb

platys (blk, grn, calico, red high fin, ..basically anything bold)

rainbow shark

red tailed shark

blk or red phantom tetras

harlequin Rasbora

gold pristella tetra

silvertip tetra

blackfin corydoras

agassizi corydoras

too many options...gold fish its like: 1. one tail or two. 2. colorings (over all and individual) 3. how unique are they. then your done.

.....then theres plants.....

ihave heard you guys speak of 'center piece fish'.... should I? i am going to Edmonton on the 20th to create this master piece. i plan on stopping at big al's, nature's corner, and possibly pet smart. I am giving my dad all the 'internals' of the tank soo it will be costly (and extremely fun :smokey: ) , to re-vamp everything. I want bold greens, black and dark browns..el' natural...my living room is african.... are there any other places I should be going? are there any good deals going on? there were more questions but, its probably best for you-peoples sakes that I forgot....

THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by violet c

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planted tank?

I'd say Cherry Barbs(red), Otos, harlequins, and Dwarf Cories, and maybe a few platies?

Top, not sure, i personally prefer anabantids (bettas, gouramis etc)

what kinda numbers do you suggest? I would like 'proper' schools too, they're better for the fish and easier on the eyes.... and yes, I want about 60% of the ground area covered in plants... but I want to mix up textures and whatnot... i'm just researching that now....

My little input here is that most if not all of your listed species will make shrimp their dinner or at least harass them to death.

From what I've read in terms of shrimp, there are very few species that won't eat them and even then it may just be the fish's temperament that makes the difference.

Planted tank?

I'd say Cherry Barbs(red), Otos, harlequins, and Dwarf Cories, and maybe a few platies?

Top, not sure, i personally prefer anabantids (bettas, gouramis etc)

what kinda numbers do you suggest? I would like 'proper' schools too, they're better for the fish and easier on the eyes.... and yes, I want about 60% of the ground area covered in plants... but I want to mix up textures and whatnot... i'm just researching that now....

I would suggest a single school of something in the middle - Harlequin rasboras or Cherry Barbs - school of 10+ , then perhaps have a dense foreground, to keep the shrimp safe, and have it planted nice and dnese.

Many of the large apple snails, mystery snails, etc. are voracious plant eaters, so not a good choice if you're going planted. Zebra snails (Neritina sp.) are plant safe, and good algae eaters. Of course, if you get plants, you will probably also get several smaller species of snails as a bonus.

you guys are soo insightful! thank you, I know i would've regretted that one...what can you tell me about zebra snails? are they fairly easy to find? i read somewhere its basically impossible to breed them...so, how long is their lifespan? i have one small species of snail..the most 'generic' one ever :I

Another group of fish that work well with my plants and shrimp are the white clouds, come feeding time they look like salmon swimming upstream in the HOB outtake.

what other fish are good with shrimp? I really like platys and, fivebanded and cherry barbs...white clouds are ok but i like color... the brighter the fish the better....

Another group of fish that work well with my plants and shrimp are the white clouds, come feeding time they look like salmon swimming upstream in the HOB outtake.

what other fish are good with shrimp? I really like platys and, fivebanded and cherry barbs...white clouds are ok but i like color... the brighter the fish the better....

oh, and i think I have decided on black fin or julii corys....

i just read about DWARF platys...does anyone know if they are easy to find? and where one might do so?

oh, and i think I have decided on black fin or julii corys....

i just read about DWARF platys...does anyone know if they are easy to find? and where one might do so?

me again :smokey: , um, does anyone know where to find dwarf(a.k.a nano,pygmy),or skunk corys.... is there something I should be worried about with them? ... they're sooo small!

I'm not so sure about the barbs persay but I do think that all those will harass and eventually eat the shrimp. If you want the shrimp to propagate your choices of fish are limited since almost every type of fish will be able to fit the shrimplets in their mouth. That being said, your best option is to google "X fish and X shrimp" and hopefully you get answers, that how I came across white clouds and shrimp. Other good fish are any herbivores, Otos and the like.

I'd give a call to fish stores and see if they ever have them in stock.

does anyone know where to find dwarf(a.k.a nano,pygmy),or skunk corys.... is there something I should be worried about with them? ... they're sooo small!

I've seen dwarfs at Big Als and other fish stores. From what I've read, same goes for Otos, that they're stressed rather easily.

I'm not so sure about the barbs persay but I do think that all those will harass and eventually eat the shrimp. If you want the shrimp to propagate your choices of fish are limited since almost every type of fish will be able to fit the shrimplets in their mouth. That being said, your best option is to google "X fish and X shrimp" and hopefully you get answers, that how I came across white clouds and shrimp. Other good fish are any herbivores, Otos and the like.

I'd give a call to fish stores and see if they ever have them in stock.

does anyone know where to find dwarf(a.k.a nano,pygmy),or skunk corys.... is there something I should be worried about with them? ... they're sooo small!

I've seen dwarfs at Big Als and other fish stores. From what I've read, same goes for Otos, that they're stressed rather easily.

well, I think I am officially setting up a seperate shrimp tank/bowl....

k, so heres what i have ended up with so far.....java moss, java fern, rotala, and two mystery plants......

there are three zebra snails...two of which are M.I.A....? hope I didn't bury them or something...

two microscopic cherry shrimp

an oto

3 corys (got them for free ...it think they're julis)

6 pygmy cories (sooo cute! they're my favs)

2 chinese algae eaters(think i might give these to my brother...he's had them before... I wish someone would have told me how big they ge and about their agression)

10 mini rasboras

10 brigatte rasboras (2 didn't make it home...4-5 died over night :(

7 dwarf frogs (1 died on the way home and 2 died overnight...they were for my bro's tank....) if i got 2 for myself would they eat all my little fish? they're cute and I like their random poses.....I am giving the survivors to him tomorrow :(

but yeah, you guys should have seen the way this girl at big als was handling the fish...I'm suprised more didn't die now that i think about it.... she would catch some in the net, rasie it out of the water and at first I thought she was flicking rocks out of the net until i realized they were the fish! hmmm... not cool. and she seemed rude. :( i had a gentlemen help with my 'second order' and he was great, he had an appreciation for fish and was knowledgeable.

i got a 4200 k bulb (i think thats what it is...).. but its only a 20 w lamp..... what should i do? the cheapest route...

don't laugh but I bought flourite and forgot that other stuff that starts with an 'L'.... will they survie without it??

and i got flourish

um...by the end of the day I spent about 360...which, might not be much for most of you, but is a fortune for me...and i know if anyone I know finds out they are going to diagnose me insane -roll-

I'll upload pics when i find my camera...its in my van and its like -35 celsius...so its a LONG ways away from where Im sitting....