in need of pro help! stocking options..?!

MrsFard

Zebra snails lay eggs all the time in freshwater. But to actually breed them and get babies you need brackish/salt water.

so you can breed them successfully? how do you get brackish water? is it just 'x' amount of aquarium salt?

I've researched breeding them and it seems pretty difficult. I only found 2 reports of people having much success.

For brackish water you need Marine salt, not just plain salt. You need a hydrometer to get the right specific gravity of the water. I never much info about what salt content the zebra snails prefer for breeding. I assume anything in the brackish range would be ok. Some sites even said up to full marine is ok.

Zebra snails aren't like other snails, where little baby snails hatch out of the eggs. Zebra snail babies go through a larval stage before forming into babies snails. So they are much more difficult to raise to the snail stage then other species of snail.

sounds like too much work :) and larvae gross me out :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused are you guys reffering to spixi's or nerites ? I'm assuming nerites, as they're hard to breed, but they make REALLY nice algae eaters, however they're rather heavier than your average snail, and i've read one climbed up a long stem and actually tilted it the stem down . xD

I'm confused are you guys reffering to spixi's or nerites ? I'm assuming nerites, as they're hard to breed, but they make REALLY nice algae eaters, however they're rather heavier than your average snail, and i've read one climbed up a long stem and actually tilted it the stem down . xD

Zebra snails are Nerites.

• 2 weeks later...

I am giving one of the two to my dad in hopes the eggs will stop...he won't care about them but they annoy me :)

I am giving one of the two to my dad in hopes the eggs will stop...he won't care about them but they annoy me :)

here are some updated pics.... ther will be more on the way once I get back from the city friday. the sand looks a thousand times better than how i had it all before...and the fish like it better. there are pics of my whiptail catfish burried in it. thats all he does all day...

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o136/vi...?albumview=grid

I cannot believe how dirty the glass is! sorry!

Edited by violet c

Nice job Ryan. I can't believe you where losing that much water from the sumps while they where somewhat enclosed within the stand. I must admit I am a little intimated with the construction of a sump, seems like a lot of "fine-tuning" and not as cut and paste as I thought.

The burrowing of a whiptail like that seems to me like some sort of stress mechanism to a lack of hiding spots?

Try throwing a clay plant pot or something in there maybe or maybe I'm out to lunch on this one

Nice job Ryan. I can't believe you where losing that much water from the sumps while they where somewhat enclosed within the stand. I must admit I am a little intimated with the construction of a sump, seems like a lot of "fine-tuning" and not as cut and paste as I thought.

The burrowing of a whiptail like that seems to me like some sort of stress mechanism to a lack of hiding spots?

Try throwing a clay plant pot or something in there maybe or maybe I'm out to lunch on this one

awe, i never thought of that :( time to hit google ...

Well from what I've seen in pictures, never seen one burrowed, often they hide in caves and such or are attached to driftwood.

hmm. some sites say they like to be in the open and others say they are hiders... lotsa help that was :) I plan on getting some driftwood and more rock on friday, so I guess we'll see, I'm all curious now :)