in need of pro help! stocking options..?!

MrsFard

Basically you have to consider the size of the fish vs tank vs level and the amount of filtration...

For me...

9-1.5 inch WCMM = 13.5 inches

6-1inch Habrosus cories = 6inches

3 - 1.5 inch Otos = 4.5

So I have 24 inches of fish for a 30 inch tank.

the white clouds are mostly midlevel/bottom

The otos go anywhere and everywhere and the Cories have found themselves a little corner to hang around.

And with these fish in a 20 gal long it still seems bare, and with all the filtration it doesn't even register anything lol

so the stocking options are all depending on taste.

As for the Otos, usually about 4 would work, especially if you're gonna add some more plants lol.

Edited by thedarkstar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically you have to consider the size of the fish vs tank vs level and the amount of filtration...

For me...

9-1.5 inch WCMM = 13.5 inches

6-1inch Habrosus cories = 6inches

3 - 1.5 inch Otos = 4.5

So I have 24 inches of fish for a 30 inch tank.

your going by the length of the tank? and are you basing it on their present or adult size?

the white clouds are mostly midlevel/bottom

The otos go anywhere and everywhere and the Cories have found themselves a little corner to hang around.

And with these fish in a 20 gal long it still seems bare, and with all the filtration it doesn't even register anything lol

so the stocking options are all depending on taste.

As for the Otos, usually about 4 would work, especially if you're gonna add some more plants lol.

with my 10 dwarf rasboras thats 10 '' (oh, I am going by their estimated full size)

if i bring my brigette rasboras count to 13 thats another 10''

with four peppered cories thats 10''

and 8 pygmy cories thats another 6''

then there is the whiptail..another 6''

----

to a total of 46''!!!! so, either i need a bigger tank or I have to cut back :cry:

I once had 75 cardinals, 5 Red Rams, 3 Angels and 6 cories in a 55gal tank. It was fully planted and overfiltered, and all fish were happy and healthy. If you run filtration enough for double your tank size and have it fully planted (and feed the plants), then you'll have no trouble with the fish you're keeping. Fill the tank with plants first, then add the fish; that way, you won't have problems with cycling your tank.

with my 10 dwarf rasboras thats 10 '' (oh, I am going by their estimated full size)

if i bring my brigette rasboras count to 13 thats another 10''

with four peppered cories thats 10''

and 8 pygmy cories thats another 6''

then there is the whiptail..another 6''

----

to a total of 46''!!!! so, either i need a bigger tank or I have to cut back :cry:

Keep in mind...

16" of fish that are bottom feeders, 20 mid-top with your rasboras and the 6 misc. with the whiptail.

Seems alright to me space wise.

With plants/filtration like jvision fsaid, shouldn't have a problem

Also have to consider waste production.

Some fish just don't produce enough waste to register as a full length of fish.

Most likely like your dwarf rasboras/pygmy cories.

But then again whiptails produce quite a bit?

compared to the goldfish they're all doing pretty good that way! and I honestly don't know about the whiptails... she's just got sooo much personality its cool

that makes sense...

I am pretty sure my nertile snails laid eggs, i found one image on the net and it looks like them (5 really white eggs on the glass), but everwhere I have read says its most of them don't breed and of the few that do...the eggs never hatch. :( apparently they need brackish water... and I can't find my camera to take a pic.

Zebra snails lay eggs all the time in freshwater. But to actually breed them and get babies you need brackish/salt water.

so you can breed them successfully? how do you get brackish water? is it just 'x' amount of aquarium salt?

I've researched breeding them and it seems pretty difficult. I only found 2 reports of people having much success.

For brackish water you need Marine salt, not just plain salt. You need a hydrometer to get the right specific gravity of the water. I never much info about what salt content the zebra snails prefer for breeding. I assume anything in the brackish range would be ok. Some sites even said up to full marine is ok.

Zebra snails aren't like other snails, where little baby snails hatch out of the eggs. Zebra snail babies go through a larval stage before forming into babies snails. So they are much more difficult to raise to the snail stage then other species of snail.