Small Betta tank

wicked

How would you go about supplying a heat source to a small Betta tank as well as filteration. Its 1/2 US gallons?

If you could up grade to a 2.5 gal you could get small preset heaters at Big Al's I also use cut down Sponge filters in my 2.5 gals trim the sponges ... to fit ... works like a charm.. I hope this helps.

If your room is warm enough with no drafts, you don't need to heat them. I keep 30- 40 bettas in my laundry room which is 70 degrees with no problems. Bettas need to be warmer only when they're breeding. Trust me on this, as I'm a member of the International Betta Congress.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 2 gal top fin bubbler tank. Its got no filtration but I do water changes and one day I'll get a 3 gal tetra whisper filter system later... But I find that I sit at about 71 F with just the light, I change the bulb from the one it came with and put in an outside x-mas light (blue because this tank sits in my living room right in front of my big window.) The outside x-mas lights put off a lot of heat. But to each their own. :D

If your room is warm enough with no drafts, you don't need to heat them. I keep 30- 40 bettas in my laundry room which is 70 degrees with no problems. Bettas need to be warmer only when they're breeding. Trust me on this, as I'm a member of the International Betta Congress.

I don't know..I have always kept my bettas with heaters. I find that they are a lot more colorful and active when they're in warmer water. I find they're too sluggish when they're in room temperature.

Edited by Jeska

Although temperature is definitely a factor in a bettas activity level, there are other items to take into consideration. Bettas are actually social and like to flare at different male or female bettas or they get bored and listless. Water is another consideration as they like it clean and also like some almond leaves in it. Food is also a mood enhancer and NLS, Bettapro or blackworms are excellent choices. Also the quality of the fish will affect the activity level. A betta from a reputable breeder with these circumstances will be quite active at room temperature.

There are a could small heaters that you can buy I think that marine land makes them or maybe its stealth. I can find out when I go to work. They are for 2.5G and 5G tanks. One is about 6inches long and only a couple cm thick and automatically sets the temp for 78'. The other one is a very thin sheet about the size of a playing card. I know the rod one is about $30-$40. I borrowed the rod one from work and it does the job