killifish eggs off of ebay?

fleshgear

has anyone tried getting some of these eggs off of ebay? how do they work? i would like to get some killifish. will they hatch in Calgary's hard water?

here is a link to one of the adds for eggs, there are may others. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Thanks

Edited by flshgear

It's actually fairly common practice to send killifish eggs by mail. Nothobranchius eggs are sent all the time. Aphyosemion eggs are not, they seem to dry out and are not as resiliant as the peat divers'. Don't order in the winter or they will all freeze in the mail. :cry: I've seen them come from Europe in the past and had them hatch out ok. Not in huge numbers, but enough to get a breeding pair or two. It makes a big difference to viability if the eggs are sent fresh and haven't been sitting around inncubating for too long. Also the moisture of the peat is important because it can get too dry and descimate the eggs. Hope this helps.

:beer:

so the eggs are dry? how long can they be like that before they go bad? are they similar to brine shrimp eggs? they wont hatch until you add water?

Thanks

No no, you don't want the eggs to dry out thats when they are in danger of becoming completly decimated and nothing will hatch. The incubation period differs, but the eggs need to be kept with some degree of moisture in the peat to remain viable. This is why you don't want to order the eggs in winter. The moisture freezes, eggs die, no fry. At the same time if they completely dry out for too long, eggs die. We are just trying to recreate the wet and dry seasons these fish come from but if don't keep them within the same moisture and temperature of thier natural environment we aren't going to see alot of fry.

Cheers

Edited by Burbot

If you are keeping these fish I assume you are colllecting eggs, right? :thumbs: So then you have container of peat and hopefully some wood in the tank which should help to soften the water.

Use bottled distillled water or your drinking water, if you have a softener in your house, for hatching out the eggs. Introduce tap water through gradual water changes. If they won''t spawn for you in tap water, this also works convincing finky Nothos to get busy.

Cheers

no i have no killifish, but i would like to get some. i do not want to pay $30 per fish. i was thinking about getting some golden wonders from petsmart, i think that is what they are called. all of my tanks are community tanks. starting to get some semi aggressive fish like angels and German blue, gold rams, and some female Betta's in the tanks. the tanks are all planted with drift wood. i do have some peet moss for breeding Betta's.

Well there are some killies that can co-exist happilly in a community tank but due to their natural life cycle of exisiting in temporary habitates it really is important to acitively reproduce these fish in the hobby. It is also important to note their small size makes them not too suitable in a tank with larger fish like breeding angels. They do take a bit of extra care but there is something magical about seeing a group fry appear from a bag of peat that you collected several months before. :)

Cheers

I purchased some. They got here mouldy and the shipping took forever. Nothing hatched, but not surprised due to the condition of the eggs. Would not do again.

you can get golden wonder killifish here in leduc at petsgo. Andrew there will bring them in from his camrose store if you call him. i think they cost me about $7 each, they colored up nice, I have 3 in with blue rams, red rams, congo tetra's, glass catfish, upsidedown catfish, pleco, many loaches and etc......they just stay at the top and really mind their own business. they aren't shy to nip at my arm during cleaning time though!!!