First time salt

polleni-puffer

So i finally got the money and time and have started up a saltwater tank. As of now its only cycling and I have just added in 9 pounds of live rock and the salinity is right in the middle of 1.021 and 1.022(sorry ,mah test kits are dead) and I plan on adding the following

Fish

1 Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon Kauderni)

1 Orange Striped Goby (Amblyeleotris Randalli)

Inverts

5 Blue Legged Hermit-Crabs

a cleaner shrimp of sorts

Coral

1 Red Open Brain Coral

1 Green Bubble Coral

1 Candy Coral

Tabk Stuff

1 Roi Nano Skimmer+filter

1 Heater

1 Hydrometer

ya ,so thats pretty much all(pics soon) and I know that i Have to wait 2 ot so weeks to test my water and see if its safe for the first fish.

-Scott

Edited by polleni-puffer

So i finally got the money and time and have started up a saltwater tank. As of now its only cycling and I have just added in 9 pounds of live rock and the salinity is right in the middle of 1.021 and 1.022(sorry ,mah test kits are dead) and I plan on adding the following

Fish

1 Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon Kauderni)

1 Orange Striped Goby (Amblyeleotris Randalli)

Inverts

5 Blue Legged Hermit-Crabs

a cleaner shrimp of sorts

Coral

1 Red Open Brain Coral

1 Green Bubble Coral

1 Candy Coral

Tabk Stuff

1 Roi Nano Skimmer+filter

1 Heater

1 Hydrometer

ya ,so thats pretty much all(pics soon) and I know that i Have to wait 2 ot so weeks to test my water and see if its safe for the first fish.

-Scott

Welcome to the world of saltwater Scott. Some questions, what size tank is it? and what kind of lighting do you plan to use for the tank? I would wait at least 4 weeks before adding the cuc (clean up crew) You don't want to rush it as it could result in losses.

I'd cycle for at least 4 weeks before adding the clean up crew then give it another 2 weeks before adding fish. Just make sure your ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 before adding the livestock.

Your SG seems a little low, I'd aim for 1.023-1.026. If you can, invest in a refractometer. Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

For the lighting I would go with a 70W MH (either a JBJ K2 Viper or a DIY retro-fit). A 150W set-up would be easier to find bulbs for but will likely give you heat issues. I'd skip PC's altogether unless you only want low-light corals. T5HO is another option that produces good results but there are very few choices that will fit over a 10G tank.

Hey Scott if you are new to saltwater I would suggest reading a book called the "Natural Reef" by Tullock (at least thats what I think its called). It's great help to get you up and going. You can get it at the library, and I know in that book he really talks about nano reefs.

Again as was mentioned before lighting is going to be key to determine if the corals will grow. What about snails?

cheers!

Just on the saltwater note, and tank sizes, I find my 20 Gallon needs far more attention than my friends 55. Evaporation of the water affects the SG pretty quickly... My next tank is going to be a bit bigger, but not too big as I don't have a whole bag of money to invest in it, but enough to build a nice tank at least. Goin to keep my 20 as a hospital tank once my Bowfront tank is ready.

Just my personal opinion on the Rio nano skimmer. (Others might like it, I hated it.) I had one and it was aweful! Very finicky, always got clogged up with salt in the venturi, overflowed, leaked and was unimpressed with how it skimmed (when it bothered to). You would be better off with putting on an AC converted into a fuge, or running carbon, or filter pad or all 3 and using reg. water change; getting a better quality skimmer, don't by a "seaclone" they suck (I believe euroreef and tunze may be coming out with nano skimmers) or (my favorite solution) putting in a sump so you can put whatever you want in there for equipment plus hide all your other junk (heaters, etc.). I know the last two solutions are more for when you have the money, but the AC filter really is a much more well made product than the rio nano (Mine's still collecting dust somewhere :rolleyes:)

You might want to re-think adding pipefish to a tank with bubble coral. I am sure people have done it with success, but they aren't the strongest swimmers, so much like seahorses can be vulnerable to anything that can sting. I have heard conflicting arguments on whether or not this fish is difficult to keep.

As to lighting, I agree mH's and t5HO are the bees knees and will bring out wonderful color in your coral. People can keep coral with pc's too though. As long as you keep the corals that need the most light higher in the tank, that is. Only reason I mention it is we had pc's over our tank for quite a long time as we just couldn't afford to upgrade. The pics I have in my sig under "more saltie pics" was a tank run under pc's.

Edited by sharuq1

yes ,i have heard some bad and good reveiws over the rio nano ,but for my current money situation its the only thing that i can afford but over the pipefish delema i am still thinking about it ,but im leaning towards a banded pipe more then a blue pipe (not list thingy)

Banded Pipefish

pros:cheap ,easier to care for ,pretty ,my cardinalfish wont try and eat it

cons:biggish

Blue Striped Pipefish

pros:small ,pretty

cons:expencive ,small(cardinalfish may nip at it) ,harder to care for

as for the lighting its seems that i know what to get now and am for the most part sorted out

(oh ya ,im getting a candy corals ,normal and green :D )

(lastest word.....i have zoo's growing on mah live rock ,its a good sign..right)

Edited by polleni-puffer

before you buy all of those livestock...just make sure you are used to running the tank, water testing, etc. take your time...dont rush it.\

js

edit---also with a small tank like yours...water chemistry may fluctuate more that a bigger system ie. salinity, etc.

Edited by fatpuffer

I have an aqua c remora and a tunze 9002. They are both affordable skimmers that work quite well. Save your money, don't buy the rio, I had a guy who sells them tell me not to buy one. You'll be fine with no skimmer in a light bioload tank for some time. Just keep current with your water changes and you'll be ok. The corals in your list are hardy and don't need "pristine" water like SPS does.