how do i soften the water!?

MrsFard

try filtering the water through some peat. its what they recommend for discus and such, by the way what are you keeping and in what kind of setup?

where can i get some peat? oh, and forgive the painfully obvious indications of my being a novice here, but, what in particular are you asking about with the set up??? do you mean like lighting and stuff? :blush:

Usually its best not to mess with pH, as I've read over and over its easier for a fish to adapt to a new, stable pH than for you to mess with pH and have it fluctuate.

As for the peat... google "peat filtration", I looked it up when I was researching Apistos and it seemed too complicated for me lol.

What kind of fish are you keeping? Most fish will do fine in our tap water even though they "prefer" soft water.

-3 peppered cories

-10 pygmy rasboras

- 2 brigette rasboras

- 3 pygmy cories

-2 zebra snails

- 2 cherry shrimp

-1 whiptail catfish

Forgot to add the bit about "preferred pH" usually dealing with the waters in which they're found in the wild. Unless wild-caught, most tank-raised fish will already be conditioned to harder water.

good to know... i suddenly don't feel so guilty...

What kind of fish are you keeping? Most fish will do fine in our tap water even though they "prefer" soft water.

-3 peppered cories

-10 pygmy rasboras

- 2 brigette rasboras

- 3 pygmy cories

-2 zebra snails

- 2 cherry shrimp

-1 whiptail catfish

As degrassi said they may prefer it but no adjustment is needed or required. Just weekly WC and they will be happy.

J

All of those fish/critters will do well in Edm. tap water - like John said, just keep up the WCs. Most of those fish will even breed in tap water, so you're fine.